C H A P T E R (16) - R E T U R N

A few weeks had passed since Cassie and Steve's last encounter with Ryan, and both had successfully managed to avoid him.

Cassie sat on the couch with her head in her hands and elbows on her knees. "I'm bored."

"You're always bored, Cass." Steve replied from the other room.

"No shit," she began, lifting her head up and leaning back, "Maybe we should go to the cinema or something."

"Sure. But if you complain about the film again-"

"I swear I won't." Cassie said, holding her hand across her heart as Steve entered the room, a towel in his hand. She raised her eyebrows at the apron he was wearing and couldn't help the smile that formed on her lips.

"What?" He looked down at what he was wearing, "Oh."

Cassie couldn't hold in the laugh that escaped her mouth as she rolled on the couch, clutching her stomach. "Nice outfit, Stevie."

"Shut up." He clenched his jaw and jokingly stormed out the room, causing her to laugh even more.

**

The seats they were sat in weren't the comfiest, but they would do. Before the film started, clips of the war were being shown, and Cassie watched as Steve admired the soldiers, knowing how much he wanted to be one. But at least one of her boys had to stay, she couldn't lose them both.

After a few minutes of the war clips, a man began shouting about how boring it was, and how they should get on with the film. Cassie saw the way Steve clenched his fists, but she shot him a disapproving glare and shook her head. When the mans yells continued, Cassie couldn't prevent Steve from opening his mouth.

"You wanna shut up?"

Cassie sank in her seat as the man who was yelling stood up in front of them, sending a glare Steve's way. She covered her face with her hand and sighed, already knowing what was going to happen.

"You just couldn't help yourself..." Cassie mumbled into the palm of her hand.

**

Cassie had followed the man outside who was dragging Steve alongside him. She had tried her best to reason with him but it was useless.

"I can do this all day." Steve muttered, interrupting her thoughts.

As the man went to land another punch on her brothers face, Cassie stepped in front of him, causing him to stop.

"Don't you think he's had enough?"

"Cass, I can do this all-"

"Yeah, yeah I get it." She said over shoulder before turning back, "Just stop."

The man laughed in her face, causing his breath to waft into her nose. The repugnant smell could've made her gag, but she managed to hold it back, pressing her lips into a thin line.

The man went to bring his fist back before someone latched onto his arm, pulling it back and sending a punch to his face. Cassie turned around to face Steve, assessing the damage.

"You just couldn't keep quiet, could you?" She asked while she brought the sleeve of her shirt over her hand and rubbed the blood off of his cheek. "Does it hurt?"

"No I'm fine." He said as he shook his head. She could tell he was lying, but she just continued to wipe away the blood.

When she heard footsteps approaching from behind, Cassie spun around, not taking in who stood before her and throwing out her hands as protection. The person who stood in front of her grabbed her hands and held them gently, trying to stop her from moving them.