C H A P T E R (14) - D E P A R T U R E

Cassie opened her eyes to have the harsh sunlight burn them, so she quickly turned away from the window and faced the wall. A sudden chill came over her and she noticed the absence of Bucky who had slept there last night, or so she had thought.

She finally had the energy to pull herself out of bed and leave her room to find Steve downstairs.

"Morning, Steve."

He gave her a nod of his head, but didn't reply. Steve wasn't one to be rude, so his response confused her.

"Are you alright?" She motioned towards his red and puffy eyes that had probably been caused by Bucky's announcement the night before.

Steve offered her a small smile before looking like he was deep in thought, so she decided to leave him to his thinking as she sat down at the table.

"When does Bucky leave?" Cassie asked, she wanted to see him before he left, which she thought she would've been able to do that morning, but he wasn't there when she woke up.

Steve hesitated before answering, "In five minutes..."

Cassie's eyes widened as she looked at the clock in the room. She then brought her eyes back to Steve. "What do you mean? But then we don't get to say goodbye-"

"That's how he wanted it Cassie," he sighed, "I saw him yesterday as he was leaving the house and he told me...he told me he wouldn't be able to leave if he had to say goodbye."

She didn't know how to react, but before she knew it, her legs were carrying her out the door despite Steve's calls behind her. She was darting through the street in an attempt to make it to where Bucky was departing from, ignoring the nagging in her head that she wouldn't make it.

Finally, she arrived at where she knew he should be and looked around at all the departing men. Some with tears in their eyes, some hugging family and others sharing a moment with their partner. Cassie couldn't help but feel sorry for all of them, watching as she understood why it was so hard to say goodbye. But she needed to, she had to.

When she couldn't locate her best friend of many years amongst the crowd, she sighed heavily and let her head hang low.

"Cassie?"

The voice was enough to make her turn around despite the shock that had paralysed her. She was met with Bucky, who looked at her with furrowed brows.

"Uh...hey." She replied awkwardly.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned.

Cassie opened her mouth to say something, but couldn't find the words she wanted to say. So instead, she wrapped her arms around his neck and stood on the tips of her toes, holding on as tightly as she could. Bucky first embraced her before placing his hands underneath her thighs and bringing her legs around his waist. She tried to ignore the burning sensation she felt from his touch, but in that moment she didn't care as the blush rose to her cheeks. He supported her with everything he had as she brought her face away from the crook of his neck and placed her hands on his cheeks. She brought one hand slightly away before slapping it back down on his cheek lightly.

"That's for not saying goodbye." She mumbled as she subconsciously played with his hair.

"Alright, deserved." He whispered as their lips grazed against each other, causing Cassie to bring a soft inhale. She felt his slow breaths against her lips, not having the ability to look away from his captivating eyes. Within seconds and without another thought, she brought her lips down on his and kissed him with everything she had, knowing it would be the last time she got to feel his touch for fourteen weeks.

Neither wanted to pull away first, and many emotions were being poured into their first kiss and last moment; anger, sadness, fear and lust. As the kiss went on, Bucky's grip on her thighs tightened and Cassie's latched her fingers in his hair. Eventually, they pulled away and Cassie placed her forehead on his, their breaths mingling together as she took in his face for the last time.

"Come home to me."

"I plan on it." He replied as he released his grip from her thighs and placed her down gently on the floor.

He took one last look at her, standing there supportively with the biggest smile she could manage, and even though he knew it was fake, he returned it the best he could.

And he was gone; leaving Cassie alone with tears stinging her eyes and a sense of loneliness that couldn't be cured. He was the cure.

A/N; I really suck at writing romance :/ sorry bout that, but what can I say? I only ever experience romance with the fictional characters in my head :)