| T H E | L I E |

2016

A little while after her last meeting with her brother, Cassie had moved into the Avengers compound with the rest of the team. She had officially been declared an avenger, a title she was thankful for, yet terrified about.

Having the title meant she constantly had a target on her back, it attracted unwanted attention. But in the end, she had decided it was worth it if she could save people's lives and prevent HYDRA from ruining another life.

Cassie's mind often travelled to Bucky, wondering what he was doing and where he was. She so badly wanted to talk to him, help him. But without knowing where he was, those things were impossible. It had been two years and any search she had done had rendered useless.

Cassie's thoughts were interrupted when the familiar buzz of her phone began to sound, causing her to release a sigh.

"Man-eater!"

"What do you want Stark?" Cassie sighed, listening to Tony over the phone.

After a few incidents where the government were no longer happy with what the avengers were doing, they had asked for them to sign the Sokovia Accords. Cassie hadn't wanted to sign, so she had stayed at the compound whilst most of the team travelled to Vienna. Steve and Sam hadn't gone, they had gone off somewhere else. Neither of them agreed with the accords, but Tony had seemed okay with Cassie hanging around, not that she knew why he was soft with her.

"You might want to see this. I'm sending it to you now." His voice was stern, causing her heart to beat rapidly. His words had the same effect as 'we need to talk' and she was terrified that it was bad news.

Bad news was an understatement.

She ended the call with Tony and clicked on the video he had sent her, her finger hovering over the play button hesitantly before finally clicking it.

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured and at least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka."

Just when Cassie thought the news couldn't get any worse, it did.

"Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

Cassie let the phone slip from her fingers, suddenly unable to hold it tightly. Her muscles were weak and even with her mouth ajar, still found it hard to get her breath. She swallowed harshly and used the back of a chair to hold herself upright, not sure what would happen if she let go.

After what felt like forever of just standing there learning how to breathe again, Cassie picked up her phone from the floor and went into her contacts. She ignored the large crack across her screen as she dialled a number.

"Cassie?"

"Steve. Did you see..." she cleared her throat in order to allow herself to continue, "Did you see the news?"

"Yes I did." He answered reluctantly.

"It can't be him, can it? He...he saved you from the water and he...it's not him, right?" Cassie stuttered, trying to move the blame from the man she had once loved. Still loved?

"I don't know, Cassie. I want to believe it's not." Steve paused before continuing, "You need to talk to him."

"I need to talk to him? Surely that's not a-"

"A good idea? Cass, it's the best one I've got."

Cassie sighed and was silent, holding the phone to her ear as she slouched in her seat. She fiddled with the dog tag around her neck, holding it between her pointer and middle finger as she gazed out the window.

"To talk to him, I need to know where he is."

"I have an idea." He answered, "Meet me at the airport and don't tell Stark where you're going."

After that, he ended the call, causing Cassie to bring the phone away from her ear and throw it on the table. She felt like she owed it to Tony to say where she was going, considering he had let her stay in the compound despite their contradicting viewpoints.

She began to dial Tony's number and was glad when he didn't answer, causing her to leave a voicemail he would receive later with no time to stop her.

She decided she would tell him the truth and not lie.

"Hey Stark, I'm going on a trip to see an old friend. I don't know how long I'll be gone but I'll keep you updated. Once again, thank you for letting me stay in the compound despite..." she cleared her throat before continuing, "Just thank you...See you soon."

Okay, maybe not the whole truth - but she didn't lie.