chapter 1: a banquet of darkness

"I myself am... strange and unusual."

– Lydia Deetz (Beetlejuice)

•••••

    A little over a century ago, the world was a place of normalcy. On July 7th, 2014, an impossible incident had happened. A baby was born with the power to shine brightly. Soon after, these powers started popping up everywhere and were quickly named Quirks.

  Over time, normal became the abnormal and the world was filled with heroes, villains, and superpowers. Wars happened, new laws were passed in the quick ascendence of Quirks, chaos was everywhere. It happened so fast in the first two generations of this new age, that the chaos and fear quickly gave way to an era of chaotic peace.

  Each new generation, the Quirks became stronger, the heroes became flashier, the world became more chaotic. As of this year, 2118, Generation Epsilon–the 5th Generation in the age of Quirks–is the strongest and biggest generation.

  Fumikage and Chiyo are the twin children of Tokoyami Isamu and Tokoyami Tobikuma. The small goth family of four are considered outcasts in society.

  Tokoyami Isamu is a talented nurse who has the head and talons of a raven and has a passive Quirk that always keeps a calming aura around him. He was estranged from his family after transitioning and marrying Tobikuma.

  Tokoyami Tobikuma is an architect who has the wings of a raven and uses his shadow manipulation Quirk to create models of his designs. He avoids his family and ignores the constant attempts of them trying to take his hard-earned wealth.

  Tokoyami Fumikage is the oldest twin who is striving to become a hero, has the head of a raven and has a sentient Quirk considered "villainous". He loves his parents and sister and ignores anyone else's opinions about his family.

  Tokoyami Chiyo is the youngest who is also striving to become a hero, has the talons and wings of a raven, and has the same "villainous" sentient Quirk Fumikage has. She would die for her small family and doesn't care what anyone thinks about her as long as her family loves her.

  It was quite a strange day when Fumikage and Chiyo were taking the next step into becoming heroes.

•••••

    "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" A large black shadow impatiently flies around the bathroom. Chiyo rolls her bright red eyes, not pausing her makeup routine.

  "We have thirty minutes, Grim," Chiyo thinks, smiling when she finally gets her eyeliner right. She inspects herself in the mirror, making sure everything looked alright.

  Her black eyeliner was sharp and even on both sides, a dark red eyeshadow dusting her eyelids. Her lips were painted a matte black, gold snake bite piercings shining in the light. She had a black bridge piercing, and three eyebrow piercings. Two were gold rings on the end of her right eyebrow and the last was black near the middle of her left. There was six piercings in her ears. There are three lobe piercings–one gold on the left and the other two on the right–two black upper helix piercings on the right ear, and a gold industrial piercing on the left.

  "Chiyo~! Wanna see Shohei-kun!" The manifested shadow whines, twirling around the 15 year old. Chiyo rolls her eyes and fixes her UA jacket, ruffling her wings.

  "You seem to love my boyfriend more than I do, Grim," Chiyo teases, running a hand through her short hair. Grimoire squawks loudly, pushing Chiyo out of the bathroom.