chapter 12: cheaters and plots

"There is something at work in my soul which I do not understand."

- Mary Shelley (Frankenstein)

-----

Sublime Boyfriend: "Chiyo."

Sublime Boyfriend: "Please love, answer me."

Sublime Boyfriend: "Please let me explain. I'm sorry."

Sublime Boyfriend: "Love, please."

Raven Badass changed Sublime Boyfriend to Oda Shohei.

Oda Shohei: "Chiyo... give me a chance to explain."

Raven Badass: "Don't talk to me. We're done."

Chiyo takes a deep breath and turns off her phone, ignoring the buzzing from it almost immediately. She rubs her eyes and sighs tiredly, wings sagging to the floor.

"My fathers will be coming by to pick me up in half an hour." The corvid girl pulls her knees to her chest. "Thank you again, Shōto."

"...fathers?" Shōto asks in confusion. Chiyo turns her head and stares at the other for a short moment before nodding.

"Dad's a nurse and Papa's an architect. Papa renovated your father's agency a few years back, actually. They're really sweet," Chiyo says softly, staring off into space at the memory.

Her smile starts to shake when a thought takes over the memory. "I hope Sho-Oda doesn't come to my house. Dad will kill him..."

"Cheaters are despicable people. They deserve to burn in hell," Shōto states darkly. Chiyo giggles quietly and gives the boy a small smile.

"Similar experience?" Chiyo asks, eyes dilating the longer she stared at Shōto. Shōto gives a small shake of his head.

"Before I was born, my father slept around like a whore, trying to create the perfect tool to beat All Might. As far as I know, he stopped after I was born, but it wasn't a secret," Shōto explains, scowling without physically showing it. Chiyo makes a small noise from the back of her throat.

"A tool? Endeavor sounds like the deplorable man I imagined him as," The black haired teenager states with dilated eyes. Shōto blinks once before his lips twitch slightly.

"Walking Heater!" Grimoire cries out in sympathy as he appears out of Chiyo. He wraps around the bi-color haired teenager before wrapping his arms around him. Shōto tenses heavily and stares at the shadow with wide eyes.

"My name is Todoroki Shōto." Chiyo giggles at the statement before scooching over. She wraps her own arms around Shōto and gives him a smile.

"You're always going to be a walking heater to Grim. Apologies, but he's much more stubborn than I," Chiyo says sympathetically. She sits up more and presses her chin on top of Shōto's head.

"If you ever want to plot against your father, my home is open as a spot to plan," Chiyo says before a trill escapes her throat. Shōto had hugged her back, even if he did it so awkwardly.

She hears the familiar chime of her father's text and smiles softly before breaking the hug. "Thank you, Todoroki-kun, for comforting me and cheering me up..."

Chiyo stands up, followed by Shōto. His left side started smoking, but Chiyo doesn't mention it in her confusion.

"No need to thank me, Chiyo. Are your fathers here?" Shōto states dully. Chiyo just smiles and starts walking towards the front of the traditional house.

"Of course I have to thank you..." Chiyo puts on her shoes once she reaches the front door. "...your sister is very kind, by the way. Thank her for the tea for me."

Shōto nods, a twitch of a smile forming on his face. "She is. I'll tell her. See you tomorrow, Chiyo."

"See you tomorrow, Todoroki-kun," Chiyo says goodbye before opening the door. Shōto stares after her for a few moments before walking to the door.

"Call me Shōto." Chiyo turns around, mouth open to speak, but the door was already closed. She smiles softly and turns back around when one of her fathers presses the car horn.

"Walking Heater's really nice," Grimoire comments with a happy squawk. Chiyo hums in agreement, smiling disappearing. She opens the door of the car and enters.

"Alright, I have a shotgun in the back and ice cream in the cooler. Are we going Cheater Hunting or Tragic Love Movie Marathon?" Chiyo giggles wetly at Isamu's statement before she quickly wipes away her tears.

"I think the movie marathon right now..." Chiyo answers with a hoarse voice. She couldn't cry anymore, but her eyes wanted to so much. Isamu turns around and gives his daughter a soft smile.

"Of course sweetheart. Tobikuma and I will go Cheater Hunting tomorrow while you and Fumikage are at school!" Isamu exclaims with a cheery voice. Chiyo laughs softly and shakes her head at her father's antics.

-----

Chiyo feels her heart attempt to fill with excitement at the sudden announcement of the Sports Festival, but she couldn't bring herself to be happy. She buries her head into her arms as her class cheers loudly around her.

"Quiet," Shōta's statement makes Chiyo lift her head slightly. She keeps her chin resting on her arms, but pays attention to her homeroom teacher with bloodshot and puffy eyes.

"Because of what happened, UA has decided to withhold the names of the students in the Hero Course and replace it with-"

"-your hero names!" The sultry voice of the 18 Hero: Midnight echoes loudly in the room as the door is slammed open. Chiyo frowns at the whispers all around her and sighs heavily. Fumikage glances at her before silently focusing on their teachers.

"We've decided to have you pick them early!" Midnight continues as she walks in with a sway of her hips. Chiyo blinks in surprise, but doesn't move from her position.

"This also relates to hero drafts picks. I'll explain it more after the Sports Festival, but first years usually don't have to worry about it," Shōta adds tiredly. His gaze stays on Chiyo for a moment longer before going back to watching the entire class.

"These names are usually temporary, but you should still be careful or-"

"You'll have hell to pay later!" Midnight interrupts again. "The public tends to recognize these names to you and soon that's how they know you! They can become your professional names!"

"Midnight's going to make sure your hero names are okay. I can't do stuff like that," Shōta says as he grabs his sleeping bag.

"When you give yourself a name, you get a more concrete image of what you want to be like in the future and you can get closer to it. As the saying goes, "names and natures often agree." Like All Might." Chiyo raises her head up a bit.

"Chiyo! Chiyo! We get to name ourselves!" Grimoire spins around in the corvid girl's tired mind. She smiles softly and grabs the last two whiteboards when they are handed to her.

She raises one over her shoulder and hands it to Momo. "Should we think of a new name?"

"...Chiyo-san... are you alright?" Momo asks quietly, making Chiyo turn around. She forces a smile on her face and nods her head.

"I'm fine." She turns back around and opens her black marker.

"I like Stygian! I like Stygian!" Grimoire repeats brightly before cawing loudly. "We'll take this from Oda! It's ours!"

"Grim..." Chiyo sighs in exasperation at her Quirk before writing down the name. Stygian does sound cool.

-----

Hey! Hope you all like the new chapter! Bye.

WhovianWhoudini