The First Cut Is The Deepest

Meredith and Ophelia enter the locker room with a piece of paper in hand

"I know we need a roommate but are you sure it should be someone from this hospital?" She questions.

"Well we can't just post an add in the newspaper and expect any better." Meredith points out.

"Good point." She hums as she reads through the paper again.

Their new roommate had to be a non smoker and have no pets. Which was completely fine with her. Every once in a while when Charlie was stressed she would catch him smoking a cigarette and it disgusted her.

It's all about lines. The finish line at the end of residency, waiting in line for a chance at the operating table, and then, there's the most important line. The line separating you from the people you work with. It doesn't help to get too familiar. To make friends. You need boundaries between you and the rest of the world. Other people are far too messy. It's all about lines. Drawing lines in the sand, and praying like hell no one crosses them.

It was crazy really, within the hour interns were hounding Meredith for a room. "Look, I'm sure you're very nice, but I've very particular about who lives in my house and you're just not right." She tries to explain it as nicely as possible.

"Why? Look, I'm quiet, no loud music, no parties." The blonde pleads.

"Where were you when the Challenger exploded?" Her best friend questions the intern. Ophelia kind of felt bad for not even knowing her name but what could she say?

"The what?" She says confused.

"The space shuttle. Challenger." She says.

"Uhh, I think I was in kindergarten." She smiles expectantly.

"Exactly. No." She dead pans making the blonde storm away.

☘︎︎

Later on they're all sitting on an empty bed in an empty corridor.

"Why did you put up posters for roommates if you don't want roommates?" Izzie questions with an attitude.

"I do want roommates, we're together a hundred hours a week, you want to live together too? And plus I already have Ophelia living with me." She gestures towards me.

"No. Ooh, you're bringing bribes now?" Cristina gestures towards the coffee in Mer's hand.

"I need a place to live. My mom irons my scrubs. I have to get out of there. And if Ophelia is living with you why can't I?" George complains.

"It's not a bribe, I just don't think it's a good idea. Plus she has been my best friend for over six years, she's family." She shrugs.

"But I can put down last, first and deposit. Does Ophelia even pay rent?" He challenges.