Chapter Four

It isn't fair. I gave Jacob everything I had to offer and he crushed it all to hell once he decided to hurt me. I was ready to move along in our relationship and have the best senior year with him full of new adventures. Now I'm trying to get him out of my head and out of my life. Trying to completely get over him is harder than I thought. Not seeing him over the summer made it easier not to think about him, but in school it's damn near impossible. I can't even avoid him at parties.

Seeing him with Lauren was gut-wrenching. I thought he would at least feel guilty about cheating, but it doesn't seem like it.

The person who used to make me laugh and smile the most is now the person I dread seeing. Part of me wishes I could move past the cheating and be with him again, but the other part of me knows he would cheat again down the road somewhere. It's like an endless cycle of hurt, no matter which path I choose life is viciously laughing at me.

I wish my mom was here so I can talk to her about everything. She was the one person I could talk to about anything, besides Casey. I know I can talk to my aunt Jade, but it isn't the same. I hate to think it, but she isn't my mom. I need my mom's advice and no one else's.

Monday morning, it's like the weight that had been lifted off my shoulders is back on and is substantially crushing my will to do anything. I don't want to sit in class with people I don't want to be around anymore, and I don't want to study things that I have no interest in. School is getting tedious and I just want to get the hell out of here.

For lunch, Casey tells me she has to talk to one of her teachers about a paper. I want to have lunch by myself anyway, so I'm not upset over it. While walking to the parking lot, I notice Dylan walking near me. Our gazes catch and he starts making his way towards me.

"We're seeing a lot of each other lately," he says, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

I nod, agreeing. I feel bad, but I'm not in the mood for people today. My car isn't too far away so I hope I can escape soon.

He gives me a strange look. "You don't look as chipper as you usually do."

I usually look chipper to Dylan? "It's been a long day." It's been a long few months, but I don't want to get into it.

"Hmm," he muses as he taps his chin. "You know what cures a long day?"

"What?"

"Ice cream."

"It's lunch though."

He stops walking and stares at me like I've just grown a third eye. "Don't tell me you're one of those people who only eats ice cream for dessert."

I laugh at his response. He must be serious about ice cream. "Because it is dessert."

He scoffs, seeming offended. "Well, that's a habit we have to break." He starts walking again. "C'mon."

What is he planning? "Where?"

"You know, you'll live a much happier life if you stop asking questions," he smirks. "We're having lunch together. Now let's go before we run out of time."

Half of my instincts are telling me not to go, but the other half are saying yes. I want to say no, but I remember what I told myself and Casey before the first day. This is the year of confident Lacey. I know if I eat by myself, I'll get too much in my head and it won't be good.

I follow Dylan and he approaches an older, black motorcycle. My eyes widen, realizing this is our mode of transportation if I don't speak up. "No way. There's no way I'm getting on that thing. I'm driving."

"I'm selling it in a couple days. I have to spend as much time with it before I say goodbye," he says, handing me a helmet. "Look, you even get your own helmet."