Chapter Five

While getting ready on Wednesday morning, everything fall into places perfectly. My hair is cooperating with me, my outfit comes together nicely, and my skin allows me to be light on my makeup. Everything goes fine until I walk out to my car and see a flat tire on the driver's side. In a panic I call Casey who manages to pick me up on time.

"You're a life-saver, you know," I tell her once I'm buckled in.

"Tell me something I don't know." She glances at me and smiles. "You look cute today."

To make her mad I say, "As opposed to other days?"

"Oh, you know what I mean."

All morning I had been listening to Nirvana, so it was only appropriate to wear my Nirvana tank top. I matched it with a red and black flannel, a pair of distressed, light-wash shorts, and some red converse.

Casey, on the other hand, has on a black and white striped dress with a lightweight army green jacket. Stylish, as usual.

"Hey, I know I've apologized a million times for the pool incident, but I still feel awful," she says.

"And I've forgiven you a million times," I stress.

She doesn't remember exactly what Tyler says to her to make her upset that night. I tried to help her remember, but she'd been to drunk to remember details. She's been avoiding him since then.

"I think I'm going to talk to Tyler today. I've just been so embarrassed by all of it."

"If he turns out to be a jerk, then don't bother giving him a second chance."

She parks in her usual spot. "Let's get today over with."

I haven't told Casey about Jacob and I being friends yet. He hasn't really talked to me much so I figure there isn't a whole lot to tell her.

"You want to go see a movie or something tonight?" Casey asks as we're walking inside the main building.

I'm going to say yes until I remember that Dylan wants to take me somewhere tonight. We haven't talked much either, so I don't even know if those plans were still on. "Um, let me get back to you on that one."

We part ways and head to class.

For lunch, Casey and I eat in the cafeteria again. The salad I buy looks great until I see Casey's cheese fries on her tray. In an attempt to put off the craving, I load more ranch onto my salad.

"I didn't talk to Tyler," she says as she pokes at her fries.

"I thought today was the day to do it?"

"Well, we usually talk when we have to do partner work, and we haven't done any. He didn't even look at me. I think I was the one who made a mess of things at the party."

There's no way of knowing what really happened. Casey had been too drunk to remember, and Tyler isn't exactly forthcoming with any information. "Maybe this will just have to settle on its own."

"It's frustrating," she says before shoving a forkful of fries into her mouth.

That's it. I push my salad aside and stand up. "I'll be right back."

I wait in line for the cheese fries and pray they won't run out before I get to them. My mind wanders to Jacob. There's a food truck downtown that sells pretty good cheese fries. Jacob and I would stop by on some Friday nights to pig out. I hate myself for it, but I miss those times.

"Couldn't resist the cheese?"

Dylan is standing next to me, wearing a broad smile. His green shirt make his light green eyes pop and I blink before I can respond.