Chapter Fourteen

At Raven's, a band whose name I can't remember, is playing some up-beat music, and people are standing in front of the stage cheering for them. It's nearing seven o'clock and more people show up as the light in the sky is darkening. I'm sitting with Dylan at a giant table where all of us have been sitting. The other four have disappeared to wherever and haven't returned.

"So, where did the others run off to?" I ask him.

He chuckles and avoids my eyes again. "I'm not supposed to say."

I figure out that Dylan cannot look me in the eye when he's trying to lie about something. Obviously something is up with the other four, and obviously Kay is back in his life.

"Ominous," I laugh with him.

His eyes flicker behind me and a smile spreads on his face.

Before I can turn around, a giant bouquet of flowers is placed in front of me. It's a monster of all sorts of flowers.

"This is gorgeous, you guys," I cover my mouth and marvel at the colors.

"Surprise!" Reece exclaims.

Anthony gestures to the bouquet. "Here, you are looking at peach roses...um, someone's breath, and—"

"Anyway, there are a lot of flowers and they're beautiful," Casey says. "We all pitched in to get these for you."

"Some more than others," Anthony says, glancing at Dylan.

It isn't some small, simple bouquet of flowers. It's a quality arrangement, meaning it must've cost them a lot to get it and I instantly feel bad. "Not to sound ungrateful, but you guys didn't have to do this," I tell them.

"You deserve it," Casey shrugs while smiling.

I hug her first. I don't know what I'd do without her. Then I move to Reece, Anthony, and Carlos. I walk up to Dylan and he waves it off.

"Save the hug," he smirks.

"Well, I'm giving you one anyway," I say, going in for the hug.

He stops me halfway and holds up a finger. "Let's go to my car first."

He let's everyone know we'll be right back and I flash a confused look at Casey and she only shrugs.

We get to his car and he reaches into the backseat and pulls out a purple gift bag with decorative curly ribbon on it. "From me to you."

I can't help but smile as I hold it in my arms. I stare at it, not believing he got me a present along with pitching in for the flowers.

"Well, are you going to stare at it or open it?" he asks impatiently.

"Calm down, I'm opening it." I laugh as I pull out the tissue paper and peer inside. My heart soars when I see a big box in the bag. I draw it out of the gift bag, studying it until I figure out what it is. "Dylan..."

"You seemed to really like the lights in my room, so I got you some of your own. They're not exactly like mine, but I hoped you wouldn't mind."

They're plain white Christmas lights, and I'm already picturing where I can put them in my room. "I don't mind at all." I practically hug the box. "This is so sweet of you, Dylan. Thank you."

He shrugs. "I try." A laugh escapes him

"Don't ruin the moment," I chuckle.

We stare at each other for a moment. His eyes flicker to my lips and licks his own. My mind goes to our first kiss and briefly wonder if there will ever be another one.