Chapter Twenty

Dinner with the Parkers makes me realize just how much I miss my parents. My parents and I would joke around at the dinner table, teasing each other. I always asked for a brother or sister from my them, but they never seemed interested. I was enough for them, but it wasn't enough for me.

Before I leave the Parker house, Derrick gives me his phone number and tells me to get a hold of him whenever I thought Dylan is in trouble or if wanted to talk. It's nice knowing someone else knows that we're together. Derrick knows what we're doing is reckless, but he doesn't fight it. He knows it isn't worth it to argue with Dylan about it.

The weekend comes and goes in a flash, mostly with me sitting on my bed with a cup of hot chocolate. Casey is out of town for the weekend and Dylan is on Kay duty. I come to the conclusion that I need more friends.

Monday morning, my aunt Jade runs out the door, running late for work. She stayed over at James' on Friday night, and on Saturday night. They stayed out late last night, hence why she is still putting on her shoes as she ran out the door. I'm happy that she's found someone, but it makes the apartment feel lonelier than ever.

I walk out the apartment door and jog down the stairs. I stop in my tracks when I see a tall figure leaning against my car. The large build immediately gives away who it is and my blood runs cold. How does he know where I live?

Xavier turns to look at me and he crosses his arms.

I'm not going to let him scare me, but I have to keep my game face on so he can stay in the dark about me and Dylan. "What do you want?" I ask him.

"All I want if your honesty," he puts his hands up. "It seems a lot of people have been lying to me lately, and I just ask for the truth."

"The truth about what?"

"You and Parker."

I have the feeling Xavier knows more than Dylan thinks, but now I'm being faced with it. "There is no 'me and Dylan'," I say, putting up air quotes.

"Really?" he tilts his head to the side.

"Really."

"That's funny," he puts his hand on his chin. "I happened to be in his neighborhood last night and this car was parked outside his house." He gestures to my car.

It scares me that he's keeping tabs on Dylan, but I can't let it show. I have to stand my ground. "So, what? You're going to be upset over me and Dylan working on a project for our English class?" Dylan's lie is coming very much in handy.

"A project for class?" he scoffs. "How stupid do I look?"

My heart starts to pound. "I don't know what else you want from me. We can't stop our school work because it isn't convenient for you and Kay," I say. "Besides, Dylan likes Kay too much." I throw it in for good measure, hoping he'll believe me.

He narrows his eyes, examining me. "I don't know how much I trust you."

"Why?"

"Casey was ready to give up on you while you were with your little boyfriend. Guess who was there for her when you weren't?"

That is a slap to the face. "What do you mean?"

"You'd drop everything for that guy and leave Casey behind. What kind of friend does that?" he ask.

"Do I have to remind you that you're the one she dropped, not me?" It slips out before I can stop it. I need to watch my tongue before I say something that will mess everything up.

"You better watch your mouth or that pretty lady you're staying with ends up in the ditch over there," he snaps, pointing behind us.

He knows about my aunt and is threatening her. "You're not going to touch her," I point at him. "Dylan and I are not together, and never will be. And I can probably say the same about you and Casey."