Chapter Nine

A giant banner strings from wall to wall in the main hallway on Monday morning. In bold, red letters it says HOMECOMING WEEK.

The dread washes over me. Homecoming week is festive and all, but it's the last thing on my mind. I have a feeling Casey will want to go to the dance Saturday night and that involves dress shopping. Not that I mind dress shopping, it's just going to be different this year. If I were still with Jacob, I'd be coordinating with him.

At lunch, she proves my suspicions right. She brings it up casually and starts imagining what she would hypothetically wear to fit the theme, which is Lost Down the Rabbit Hole, or in other words Alice in Wonderland.

"No one ever wears anything to fit the theme," I point out.

"Some people do."

"Yeah, the student government."

She frowns. "Why are you raining on my homecoming parade?" When I don't say anything, she says, "I know you've been going with Jacob as your date, but this is a new year. We can go together. Or if we can find dates in five days, that works too."

She's right, but I hate having to be constantly reminded that it's a new year. I'm becoming too dependent on people to give me a pep talk before I do something. I still need reassurance when it comes to avoiding Jacob, but I have to start making decisions for myself without asking the advice of others.

"You're right," I say.

Her face lights up. "Does that mean..."

"We can go to homecoming," I finish for her.

"Yay!" she exclaims, earning a few looks from the people around us. "It's going to be so much fun, I promise. If it's not, you can banish me from our friendship forever."

We finish our lunch and exit the cafeteria. As we're walking, Casey is suspiciously quiet. She only speaks up when we near my English class.

"What?" I ask, knowing she's scheming something already. I know that look.

"You should ask Dylan to go to the dance with you," she raises her eyebrows suggestively.

I almost choke. "Dylan doesn't seem like the school dance type." My heart flutters at the thought of going to homecoming with him and I try to ignore it. Dylan is not interested in me, and I shouldn't be interested in him.

"I bet he would go if you ask him."

"What does that mean?"

"He has a soft spot for you," she shrugs. "I saw the way you two were around each other on Friday, and he was definitely jealous when Carlos was dancing with you."

Dylan couldn't have been jealous of Carlos. He was just annoyed by Carlos, which I can understand because Carlos was more outgoing than usual. Maybe that side of Carlos has always annoyed him a little.

I then roll my eyes at the thought of Dylan being jealous of Carlos. There's just no way.

"Think about it," she stresses. Then she gasps. "Maybe you should ask Carlos to the dance."

"Okay, that's where I draw the line. Why can't me and you just go together?" I ask, hoping she'll drop the subject.

"Fine," she huffs. "I'm just saying, Carlos would be a great candidate to make Dylan jealous." Her eyes go behind me and seems to watch something.

I brush it off. "I don't need to make anyone jealous, and I'm sure Carlos wouldn't go to the dance with me anyway."

Her eyes grow bigger and I finally turn to see what has her attention. Right as I look Dylan is passing me to go into class.