Chapter Fourty-Two

The floor boards creak as Tommy walks around to his desk, sitting down at the chair behind it. His gaze hasn't lifted once since entering the room, other than to bring the lighter to the end of his cigarette.

"How are you? The baby?" He nods towards Liz's stomach.

"We're fine" she sniffs, also keeping her gaze to the floor.

"We're just waiting on Michael" Tommy grunts, turning over some paperwork. This causes Liz to shoot her head up.

"You better be joking" she cries, her hand instantly flying to her stomach "I don't want to see him!"

"You have no choice. This is about the company, not your personal life, so sit down" he points to the chair that Liz was once sat in. She was stood by the door when it started to open, Michael's face appearing around the corner. He looked like he hadn't had much sleep. Dark circles under his eyes making them look like they are sinking into his face. Liz was close enough to smell the whisky on his breath. He sits down in the chair next to Liz's.

"Now, since you're back Michael.... things have changed that you need to be caught up on. Liz, as you may or may not know, has taken your previous role when she returned from New York. She will resume that role moving forward. You, will now work for her" Tommy flicks his cigarette into the ashtray.

"I don't want, nor need him to work for me Tommy" Liz sighs, shaking her head.

"And what will you do when the baby comes? You can't expect to be working with a newborn, and who would take ion the work load?"

"I just don't think it's a good idea" she sighs again

"So you don't want me around our baby?" Michael shoots in her direction.

"It's not the fact that I don't want you around our baby, it's that I doNot want to be around you"

"Enough!" Tommy slams his fist on the table before the pair could start arguing. "My word is final. Liz, you will take Michael's old office, and Michael, you get the smaller one. Move your things, and get working"

With a huff, Liz gets up from her chair and walks to the door, slamming it behind her. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. All of this time he has been away and not herd off Michael, so why would she want to hear what he has to say now?!

The walk to her old office wasn't far, the keys jingled in her hand as she got closer, picking out the key needed to put in the door. Finally, once in, she took a deep breath.

"Liz..." Michael whispers behind her, he has caught up with her on her walk, but she was clearly distracted.

"I don't want to talk about it" tears strong Liz's eyes as she starts to pack away her stationary and paperwork into a box.  I hazel grabs her favourite chair and places it by the door, knowing she will want it in her new office. He kept looking over to Liz, his feelings all over the place. He feels angry at her for not telling him sooner about the pregnancy, but would that have changed things? Then he feels regret and guilt, knowing that they could of worked on their relationship.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asks, placing one box of items next to the door.

"Well I didn't find out until about 3 months after I left.... probably about a month or so after I sent you the letter.." Liz gives in, knowing this conversation is inevitable.

"What letter?" Michael asks, confused.

"Oh don't play dumb with me Michael, I can't take it" Liz huffs, having to stop to take a breather. She forget with this huge belly she can't exactly move around like she used to.

"I'm serious Liz. What letter?" Michael repeats, more confused than before. He was adamant he hadn't received any writing from Liz.

"I wrote you a letter, about how much I missed you... how i wanted to make things work again and how I jus5 felt constantly sick as the thought of us being over, unless..." Liz looks up to Michael who's face instantly drops.

"Gina.." he whispers, anger fuelling through him. Unless the letter got lost in the mail, then Gina would be the only other explanation.

There was silence between the two at the realisation. They continued to work, not even a glance towards each other. Michael for one didn't know what he could say to make this right.

"It's a girl you know...well, Polly seems to think..." Liz whispers into the room. Michael stops placing paperwork into boxes for a second, and watches Liz.

"Well, let's hope she is as beautiful as her mother..." he whispers back.

"Oh don't say that!" Liz exclaims, tears now running down her face. She kept them in all day and they finally were set free.

"Why not? I still love you for Christ sake!"

"Well you obviously don't love me enough or you wouldn't of gotten fucking married!" Liz screams. She sits down at the desk, tired of their arguing already when this was only just the start.

"I'll talk to Gina.."

"And how the fuck is that going to help? She's your WIFE Michael! That was supposed to be me...." From Liz came the most hysterical crying, screaming sobs that filled the room. The sound is once that was made for no person to ignore. It's hard not too. Liz cried as if her insides were being shredded, emotional pain flowing out of every one of her pores. From her mouth came a cry so raw that even Michael had tears in his eyes. Seeing her like this broke him. He tried to stop himself from crying, but couldn't, falling back into a seat behind him.

"I'm sorry Liz... so sorry" he whispers, realising it was him who broke her.