Chapter Fourty-Four

With each contraction came a pain that consumed Liz's entire body. In those seconds that stretched into what felt like forever, there was nothing else. She thought she could hear screams from the other rooms but in reality, it was her own screams echoing the house.

"I've rang mum, the doctor is on his way... here let's get you into this..." Michael walks into the bedroom just as the pain goes, but for what would be only as few minutes. He lifts her dress up over her head, and places it in the corner of the room. He helps Liz take off her underwear and bra before slipping her night gown over her head, then letting it fall down all the way.

"Thank you" she smiles, gripping ahold of his hand as another contraction starts up. Her stomach tightened and she heard her own scream without being aware of even making it. Michael winces, feeling sorry for Liz as there was nothing he can do. He slowly helps her into the bed, clean towels underneath her and also around her, hot water placed on the bed side table as his mother instructed. Liz sighs as yet again, the pain subsides. Michael sits down next to her, not letting go of her hand.

"We're going to meet her soon.." Liz smiles, squeezing Michael's hand.

"Or him..." he chuckles

"Since when has your mother been wrong?" Liz questions him, her eyebrow raised. Michael laughs and grabs a towel to wipe some of the sweat off of Liz's forehead.

"I'm here!" Polly voice could be heard as she entered the house. She shuffled around downstairs taking off her coat and shoes.

"I'll go see if we need anything else" Michael gets up and kisses the top of Liz's head. She nods in agreement, feeling a contraction coming on. Liz tries to blank it out, thinking about a memory of her and Michael.

"Are you kidding me? I would not call a son of mine Willie!" Liz laughs, falling back onto the picnic blanket. The sun shone high above them, their bellies full from their food.

"What's wrong with it?" Michael laughs, joining her.

"I just don't like it! I like Bobbie...ooo and Lawrence" Liz pipes up, tracing her finger over the palm of Michael's hand. He lays there, pondering over the names.

"I think I could call our son that. Or sons! We could end up having multiple" he smiles, kissing Liz's nose. All this talk about baby names made her happy. She knew they had a future together.

"Ok, what about girls?" She asks him, the smile not leaving her face.

"Alice... or Joyce" his eyes light up "imagine having a daughter who is as beautiful as you" he whispers.

"Oh stop...." Liz blushes. "I like Joyce... or Joy. As she would probably bring slot of joy into our world"

"Joy it is..." Michael smiles, pulling Liz in for another kiss. The pair lay there for a while, taking in the sun, laughing about their future and smiling over their past.

"Now... back to the name Willie..."

"NO" Liz laughs again, giving Michael a small punch on the shoulder.

"Hey... breathe Liz, breathe" Polly is next to her bedside, hand on her shoulder. Michael is the other side, wet flannel in hand wiping her forehead.

"Hey Pol" she glances in her direction, hardly mustering up the energy to smile. Another contraction was in its way and it felt like they were sucking all the energy out of her. Liz could hardly hear the conversation between Michael and Polly but could something about the doctor, how he should be here now?

Polly moves from her side of the bed down to the bottom and lifts up Liz's nightgown. Her face goes pale before she rushes out of the room.

"Mum?" Michael calls after her, looking confused.

"I'm calling the doctor again" she shouts back, but her voice seems strained.

Another 15 minutes pass before the doctor finally arrives, his bag in hand. He doesn't say a word as he enters the room and takes out what he needs. He lifts up the night gown to give the same worried expression that Polly gave.

"Right Liz... we need to get this baby out as soon as possible. We need you to push" there was an urgency in his voice. Liz nods, still no energy to talk, and tries her best to push.

"You got this baby" Michael smiles, rubbing her forehead. Despite him saying this, Liz felt like the total opposite. She pushed as hard as she could, he body starting to feel light and limp.

"A few more pushes Elizabeth" the doctor is looking very stern and full of concentration. Polly moves from next to the doctor and whispers something in Michael's ear.  His face goes pale, and his breath gets caught in his throat.

"What's wrong?" Liz says between pushes.

"Nothing, don't worry" Michael smiles, reassuring her, although there was a huge pit in the bottom of his stomach. Liz wasn't convinced but still had more pressing matters on.

"Last push!" The doctor should. Liz screams and pushes with her all might, until finally a cry could be heard.

"It's a girl" he smiles, wrapping the baby in a blanket.

"Baby it's a girl! You did it!" Michael cries, kissing Liz on the lips. He takes the baby from the doctors arms and holds her in between himself and Liz. She smiles at the baby, kissing her forehead.

"Joy" Michael smiles

"You remembered" a small tear fell down Liz's cheek, a tear of happiness.

"Joy Elizabeth Gray" Michael kisses Liz once more "I love you. I love you both.."

"I love you too" Liz smiles, but it started to fade off her face. She started to feel light headed, dizzy.... almost as if her body was floating.

"There is a lot of blood..." she heard the doctor say to Polly, but any words after that seemed to merge into one.

"Michael...." she whispers, feeling like she was drifting.

"Liz... Elizabeth..." Michael was so close but so so far.

Liz took another glance at Michael and their beautiful baby girl

Then everything went black.