Chapter Twenty.

The sound of papers being rustled around on the desks could be heard through out the office as well as footsteps on the floorboards and small chatter in the air. Despite there being free desks out front to sit at with the others, Liz needed her own space, so sat at her own desk but with her door open.

The sound of a gun firing bought her back to her senses as she sat thinking about the previous evening. It has haunted her all night. The sound of the gun, Changretta crying out in pain, Tommy's words.... she had tossed and turned all night barely able to sleep. Even when she accidentally woke Michael up, who then proceeded to cuddle her after telling him it was a 'bad dream' didn't help, and normally being in Michaels arms she felt safe, able to push away all bad thoughts and memories.  For what felt like the first time since being back in Small Heath, Liz thought of New York and how she longed to be back there,  but this time with Michael by her side. She thought about holding his hand, walking through Times Square... or wrapping up in winter coats and scarves as they take in the snowy scenery of Cental Park in the middle of December. The sound of knocking at the door bought Liz back to present day. Curious, she leaves her chair and walks towards her office door, leaning on the door frame.

"Can't wait to part with their money, stupid bastards" Esme, John's wife rolls her eyes. Polly walks towards the door as the banging continues.

"It's alright, it's me" Linda yells out. Now it was Liz's turn to roll her eyes. There was something about Linda that really irritated her, even though she could be nice at times. As Polly opens the door, she walks past her into the room.
"Arthur said you'd be short-staffed today because they are in a works outing"

"Piss up actually" Esme corrects her, looking Linda up and down, in which she ignores.

"I've bought sandwiches and this lemonade I made myself" Linda places a basket on one of the desks, gesturing towards it. "I'll make tea and empty ashtrays, but I won't handle money or slips... Arthur says what you do here is illegal, but not immoral" she rests against the bar.

"Depends on what time you get here Linda" Liz snorts, causing Lizzie to cover her mouth from trying not to laugh. Linda ignores this and continues on her with own ramble.

"Anyway, I thought I'd offer you my physical and spiritual support in your time of need"

Polly at this point, who had not said a word, sat down and looked up at the woman. "Ooo Linda, if you want to be a help run up to the shops and get me a 20 senior service. Lizzie will give you the change" she stands back up and goes to grab more paperwork. Esme and Lizzie laugh, whilst Liz shifts from one side of the doorframe to the other to get a better view.

"Actually, Ill use my own money Polly" she glances around at the woman who was now behind the bar, pouring herself a drink. She rolls her eyes at Liz who joins her, Linda's voice irritating the both of them. Liz grabs another glass and places it next to the bottle so that two drinks could be poured. "And before you ladies decide to find me so amusing, I have a message for you"

"Oh god no Linda, I've been to church already. Have you?" Polly puts her hand in her hands.

"Here here" Liz sighs, raising her glass to Pol's words and downing her drink. The look of disgust from Linda was unmissable.

"It's not a message from God, Polly. It's from Jessie Eden, the lady shop steward at the Lucas factory in spark hill. She's bringing all the female workers in the spot-welding and wire-cutting shops out on strike for the day. In protest to being made to work on a holy day. Poor conditions, lack of holidays, unsanitary lavatory provisions and lower pay for female workers. Apparently, all the female factory workers in the city are joining the protest in sympathy, and will walk out of their places of work at 9am to march on the bull ring"

"Them bastards down there shooting deer and god knows what yet there's me here, five months gone sat here looking a pudding" Esme looks down at her stomach. Liz snorts at this remark.

"Better make it a Christmas one" Liz winks at her, but she doesn't laugh. The girls starts to chat amongst themselves about the toilets and the circumstances here, whilst Polly and Liz sharing a knowing look, and pour another glass instead.

" come on ladies! It's 9am, open the fucking door!" Someone starts banging the door outside loudly. Everyone turns to Pol, including Liz who raises an eyebrow.

"Fuck it" she blows out smoke from her mouth and shakes her head. "I'm not in the mood today. Let's go to the bull ring" everyone smiles, pulling on their coats and jackets, Polly in a stylish grey long trench coat with sunglasses, Liz in her long, thick black coat and wide rimmed hat, her signature red lip back on her lips. They walk out of the door, and the 5 of them, arm in arm, start walking down the street.

***

Liz opened the front door with a smile on her face. Polly had gone back to the office to clear up a few things after their march, letting Liz walk home alone. She leans against the back of the door and sighs, glad to have had the distraction today away from sitting and drowning in her own thoughts.

"Hey you" Michael comes up and places his arms around her, engulfing her in a hug. It had felt like it had been ages since she had seen Michael, despite living with him whilst her brother is still at their parents house.

"Hey" Liz whispers, placing her head on his chest.

"Fancying some food?" He kisses her forehead.

"I've eaten, thanks though" Liz pulls away and looks up. "I just fancy relaxing on the sofa tonight" Michael nods in agreement. He was already in comfy clothes, so Liz went and got changed as he set up the living room. When she came back down, the fire was on, there were multiple blankets spread across the sofa and a hot cup of tea waiting for the small side table. He was already led down on the sofa. When Michael see's Liz he lifts up the blanket and lets her slide in so she's led down next to him. He places a hand on her waist and starts to softly rub his thumb across the bare skin where Liz's top had risen.

"I love you Elizabeth" he kisses her lips.

"I love you too"

The pair snuggle into each other's arm, talking about anything they could think off, until drifting off the sleep on the sofa.