Chapter Thirty-Nine.

With her stop less than half an hour away, Liz started to feel sick to the stomach. She wasn't sure if she had caught a bug on the ship over, or if she was just genuinely nervous to be seeing every one. The whole journey home consisted of regret. She couldn't help but let her thoughts constantly go back to Michael, who was still cosied up in New York. She should be there with him, but deep down, Liz knows this will be for the best. There were still 8 months left for Michael in New York, and Liz just hopes that he will come back to her, happy, apologetic and ful of love.

"next stop, small heath" the train driver calls through his megaphone. The sick that was once in Liz's stomach has made it's way up to her throat as she prepares herself for being back in her hometown without Michael. Her right hand moves to her left, her fingers ready to dance with the engagement ring that is no longer there.

"fuck... What have I done?" she whispers to herself, starting to feel scared. The train soon comes to a halt, the sky outside becoming more grey the closer it got to the city. Taking a deep breath, she grabs her suitcase and makes her way off the train, and onto the platform. A vast blanket of white hung low in the air. It suffocated every building in site along with the people walking around the platform. Looking to her left Liz couldn't see even 2 windows down her cart. It crept around people's feet, as the cold wind nipped their faces. 

"Liz" a whisper brings her back to her senses. Whipping around, there stood Polly and Ada, awaiting her return. Michael must have called. She felt like her entire body went jelly as she took a step forward and fell into Polly's arms, and sobbed. Liz hadn't properly digested the truth and seeing both of them only solidified it. 

"oh Liz..." Ada pats her back, feeling sorry for the girl. Silence fills them as they make their way towards the car, Polly still keeping Liz close to her whilst Ada carried her cases. 

"Lets take you home" Polly whispers.

***

"do you want to talk about it?" Robbie places a glass of whiskey infront of Liz. She just shakes her head, picking up the drink and downing it in one, then pushing in the direction of the bottle for another. Luckily it was on her and Robbie,although Liz wished the baby was here for a distraction. Not that she would be a baby anymore, but more of a toddler finding her feet. Now on her second glass, something doesnt quite seem to sit right in her stomach, making her feel sick. She manages to make the feeling go away by pulling her attention back to Robbie. 

"I've missed you" she smiles, placing her hand ontop of his.

"And i've missed you too! pretty jealous of you in the big city of New York" his smile is warm, welcoming. "where are you going to stay?" 

"Polly has said i could stay with her until i feel up to moving back into the house..." Liz's minds drifts off again at the thought of returning back her home. The one she once shared with Michael. "Not sure how long it will be though.." 

"Thats fair enough. I'll come visit with the lil'un of course. You're not alone in this ok?" Robbie takes the empty glass from Liz's hand and fills it up one more time. They both down it in one. 

***

The room seems familiar as Liz places her suitcase at the end of what would be her bed for the next couple of weeks. It isn't the same one her and Michael used to share when living with Polly, but had similar furniture and bedding. Taking a deepbreath she opens up her case and starts to unpack. 

"Hey.." Polly knocks at the door, a small smile across her face. "Need help?" 

Liz nods, wiping a tear she didnt even know had fallen. Soon enough, after almost finishing putting her stuff away in allocated places, her streaming tears cleansed her red cheeks. A few droplets remained, forgetting their war as their path was taken by Liz's hand wiping them away. The more she tried to stop them, the more they fell, blurring her vision with waves of sadness only someone broken would encoutner. Their saltiness flowed into her mouth, as if Liz could taste her own sorrow. Polly sat there with her, an understanding that had seemed to form between them with her sadness. 

"Shall i make us some tea?" She asks. Liz's turns her head and nods, letting Polly walk out of the room.  Despite agreeing, Liz wanted to do nothing more than curl up in a ball on the bed and cry herself to sleep.