Chapter Thirty-Eight.

The saturday morning air flows through their apartment as Liz opens all the windows. Fresh air, especially on an autumn morning was one of her favourite things. It had been almost a week since her and Michael had their steamy evening. He hadn't touched her, other than maybe one or two kisses on the cheek since. All week had consisted of Liz trying to find anywhere else but the office to work. Even after their conversation, Michael still seemed completely olbivious to his 'flirting'. She was just happy to have a day off with Michael, and not have to worry about Gina.

With her silk robe still wrapped over sher shoulders, Liz makes her way down the hall to get ready, only to hear a voice coming from the office. She opens the door to Michael on the phone, a smile plastered over his face.

"Brill, so i'll see you monday then? ... i look forward to it... bye" his smile continued to stay on his face even after putting the reciever down.

"work? on a saturday? really?" Liz lifts an eyebrow, curious as to what could possibly so important.

"oh yeah... well just some loose ends from the week" Michael barely glances up.

"It was her wasn't it?"Liz's expression doesn't change. "i look forward to it..... it could only have been her"

"Yes Liz. It was" Michael finally looks in her direction, wishing he has looked up sooner as his fiance was in less clothes than he was used to recently. The smile turns into a smirk as he leaves his desk and walks towards her in the doorway. "Well aren't you looking nice this morning" his lips travel to her ear...then down to her neck, whilst his hand lands gently on her hip.

"Yes well, time to change" Liz says shortly, turning away and walking into the bedroom opposite.

"Oh come on.. what is it now? why the attitude?" he follows her.

"Michael i have one question and i want either a yes or no anwer. have you been faithful towards me?" The question finally left Liz's lips, one she had been holding in for god knows how long.

"What!? why would you-" Michael starts but Liz cuts him off

"just answer!"

"You're being ridiculous!" he insists, his arms flying into the air. "of course i've been faithful!"

"so you havent cheated?" Liz pushes

"No!" he denies, but somehow Liz just can't believe him. She shakes her head trying to stop the tears from falling.

"Liz.. honestly i love you, but this bitterness towards Gina has got to stop. she works for us whether you like it or not"

Liz crosses her arms "just because she works for us does not mean i have to like her" but Michael rolls his eyes at this.

"I've had enough of this..." his hands moves to the back of his head.

"Fire her then" Liz insists, changing out of her robe into a knee length navy dress with a white frill collar, Michael watching her the entire time.

"No... i think you should go back to Birmingham... take a break from here.." once the words escaped Michael's mouth, Liz stopped what she was doing, shocked. Her mouth kept opening and closing like a fish, not able to form words on her lips.

"You better be fucking joking? you dont even mean a break from here, you just mean a break from you?" the tears stung her eyes but she tried her best to keep them at bay.

He shakes his head, trying to think of words to say himself. "No, not at all"

"you want me gone so you can crack on with Gina....???" Liz whispers, considering her next actions.

"dont be stupid" Michael snaps.

"how could i be so dumb to think it would be for any other reason....?!" Liz feels like she is about to go hysterical. She gets to her knee's to look under the bed for her suitcase, and once located, pulls it out.

"What are you doing?" Michael panics, watching with wide eyes.

"you want me to go? i'm going" Liz's tears are streaming down her face now, dropping onto items of furniture as she pulls out her clothes and shoves them into the case.

"no no no" Michael is panicking, finally realising the meaning his words had. He tries to stop Liz but she is in such a frenzy he isn't even able to take clothes out of her suitcase without more being back in there within seconds. "Liz i love you... please" he begs, as she grabs her passport from the top draw of the dresser and makes her way to the door.

"and i love you too" she smiles through tears. Liz gives Michael one last kiss, letting them linger on his lips, before reaching out for his hand. She opens it up so his falm is face up, and places her engagement ring right in the middle.