Chapter Two.

Three bottle's of whiskey, and two small vials of snow for the boys later, Liz had bagged herself a job as accountant at Shelby Company Limited. Michael was currently working his way up to that role, so she would be working with him.

"Right, I had better head off" Liz hiccups, standing up from her seat. Michael noticed how, even after a few hours of drinking and laughing, she still looked just as put together as she did when she first arrived. He wasn't too sure what to think of Liz. He sat deep in thought as everyone said goodbye, giving a small wave as she left with Tommy, who offered to walk her home. He felt like she would be hard to get on with. She was very opinionated, outspoken, but also could be quite sarcastic. Michael acknowledged that he could also be all of those things but both of them together? working for the company? he believed it to be a bad idea, although would not say aloud.

Everyone else chairs scrapped the floor as they got up to leave. "See you tomorrow boys" Arthur nods his head towards Michael and Isaiah's direction before also walking out of the door. "Come on" Isaiah taps Michael's shoulder. "you're quiet?" he queries. Michael knew he had been quiet but he wasn't sure anyone would notice. "Just having a think" he smiles, before putting his jacket and cap on and also leaving the Garrison Pub.

Elizabeth's heels clicked along on the cobbles of Small Heath. The night air crisp around her, making her cheeks sting and go red from the slight breeze. "I'll get Michael to pick you up in the car tomorrow" Tommy stops infront of Elizabeth's front door. Liz gives a small smile, looking down at her feet, almost feeling embarrassed to ask. "Tommy, where's Robbie?" she finally looks up and makes eye contact. Tommy stares at her for a minute, not saying a word. "He fucked up Liz" was all he could say, before putting a cigarette in between his lips, lighting it and walking off. Sighing, Liz let herself into the house, which smelt a little more refreshing after the clean than it did the previous night. She stumbled up the stairs, her head starting to spin. Clearly getting some fresh air after the three bottles of whiskey she shared with the others was actually getting to her. Before Liz knew it, she was back in her bedroom. She closed the curtains, turned around, and face planted the bed, falling asleep with her attire still on.

***

Elizabeth awoke the next morning feeling rather light-headed. "Fuck" she groans, wincing at the bright light coming through a small gap in the curtains where she didn't close them properly. Heaving herself out of bed, she freshened up ready to go to work. She knew Michael would be picking her up shortly. As slipping on a flattering black dress, and her skin coloured stockings up over her knee's, she couldn't help but wonder how today was going to go. Michael was training up to be the accountant at the company, so technically he was in charge anyway as Elizabeth wasn't too sure on her role just yet. He was oddly quiet when they were all sat in the Garrison, sometimes making a remark but keeping his voice monotone. Michael would have sometimes looked over to Elizabeth and caught her eye but nothing came of it.

There was a car horn outside, and glancing out of her bedroom window she could see the small black car waiting outside, aswell as Michael who had gotten out of the car and lit a cigarette. Even though after a few glasses of whiskey she felt like she had been flirting with Michael a little such as eye contact, biting her lip, small smiles and a raise of the eyebrow, she still couldn't put her finger on the mysterious aura that surrounded him. Elizabeth put on her coat, grabbed her handbag and walked out the door. Once Michael was in sight, for some reason she felt scared to be alone with him in the car. She never felt that way towards anyone before seeing as she grew up with a brother being a peaky blinder himself, but it was just the way Michael went about himself.

"Morning Sunshine" Michael nods, flicking his cigarette to the floor. He didn't smile when he spoke, his jaw rather tight almost as if he was clenching it or grinding his teeth. Either way Elizabeth believed that he did not want to be there. She gives a small smile and nods in his direction, as she found being called 'sunshine' sounded all but patronising. Michael stared at the now empty spot where Elizabeth stood and sighed. Looking up at the sky he thought to himself how rude she now seems, not even saying hello or morning, unless she was just too hungover. He opens his own door and gets in. The silence in the air lingered as he drove off towards watery lane. Even though last night they exchanged very few words, he still believed that they would at least be able to make conversation. Michael felt like she was almost a different person, not even muttering a word. If she was going to act this way then so was he.

Elizabeth felt like an entirely different person around Michael. She felt scared but also, for some stranger reason his presence annoyed her. She wasn't sure if it was because she was tired and his sarcastic name calling of 'sunshine' annoyed her and she was just being dramatic, because he was ignoring her, or maybe because she may of mis-understood the type of person he was the night before. Liz was generally good at reading people but Michael held his cards close to his chest, and his emotions were almost non-existent on his expression.

"We're here" he grunts, parking up the car before getting out and walking towards the house in watery lane. liz swiftly follows. She was shocked to see it was a lot bigger on the inside than what it looked on the outside. Michael had already disappeared by the time she had taken anything in and wasn't sure what to do with herself.

"Elizabeth" Tommy greets her. "Thomas" she nods back with a smile, her head still hurting. "I haven't quite got you an office set up yet, so I've put a desk in Michael's. At least that way he can show you the main gist of things" he points towards a door just to Liz's right. "Thanks for doing this Tommy" she grabs his arm as he is about too walk away. He gave a small smile and then continued on towards his office.

"Can I help you?" Michael sighs, staring up at Liz who stood in his doorway. He really hoped to not put up with her more than he had to today. He had a lot of work on and felt the pressure coming from Tommy to get it done, so having someone he barely knew and thought was rather rude after this morning was not something he felt he could deal with. It still seemed so odd to him that after their nice attitudes towards each other last night, he resented her so much already. Everyone else knew her and he didn't, almost making him distrust her completely. Even from knowing her brother Robbie, he wasn't exactly one to rely on either.

"Tommy said I am to be in here, there is a desk for me" Liz says matter of factly, pointing her long slender finger towards the desk to the right of Michael's. Michael had infant noticed the desk upon his arrival, but chose to ignore it, which is something he obviously cannot do.

"Ok" he shrugs, putting his head back into his paperwork. After a few minutes he looks ip and Liz is staring at him expectantly. "Yes?" his voice was full of annoyance. "I can't just sit here all day doing nothing? where is my work?" she snaps. Michael didn't expect that sort of response and Liz didn't expect to give it in such a snappy tone. She instantly looks back down at her hands in her lap as he stands up and looms over her. "This" he slams a wod of paperwork on her desk along with a pen. "Calculate and average" he spits, turning his back on her. "So fucking rude" Liz mutters under her breath.

"What was that?" Michael spins around towards Liz who looks fearful. "Nothing" she shakes her head and looks down at the pencil. He leans forward to her ear, making Liz shudder as he breathes down her neck "Better be".

Liz finally picks up her pen and first lot of paperwork, thinking how on earth could they go from being introduced, getting along and flirting, to now be so cold towards one another? and why on EARTH was Elizabeth Patterson SCARED of Michael Gray. She closes her eyes at the thought of how stupid she sounds to feel even slightly fearful towards him, but then shakes her head and continues on with her work, not muttering another word.