Chapter Thirty-One.

Rows upon rows of headstones stood upright to the left and the right, infront of Liz and also behind. It was a sea of people who's souls are no longer with them. Some headstones looked old, moss-ridden and were crumbling. Whilst others were new, almost as if they had been put there yesterday. The grass crunched under Liz's feet with each step she took, her blue eyes searching the headstones as she went.  It wasn't long until her gaze fell upon the two names she was looking for, both on the same headstone. 

"Hi Mum... Hi Dad" she whispers, her fingers lingering on her lips before being placed gently on top of the cold stone. She sits down on the grass before it in silence and fiddles with her fingers whilst thinking of what to say.

"So... I'm back from New York.... Tommy, Polly and everyone has been so welcoming of me coming back. I've er... finally made amends with Robbie after all this time. He has the most beautiful daughter.... you guys would have made such good grandparents...." Liz's mind wanders as she thinks of her parents playing with little Julia. She had always wished her parents would be alive to see her own children. Watch her get married...

Liz began to ponder over if her parents ever knew about Michael and him being adopted? What would they think of him now? Would they be pleased for her at all? 

The winter air nipped at her cheeks causing them to go red. Her hair that was up in a bun was now hanging around her shoulders from the wind, having not secured it properly. She fiddles and twists the promise ring around her finger that Michael gave her, thinking of the future her parents will be missing out on seeing. 

"I hope you're happy for me..." she whispers. Standing up, knowing it was her time to go, she places her fingers too her lips once more, and then presses them on top of the headstone for a kiss goodbye. 

***

The road was so bumpy Liz moved around in her seat inside the car, but she couldn't be happier to be sat across from Michael, finally out of hospital. Every now and then Michael would glance up and stare at Liz, the biggest smile forming on his lips. Although they both knew this was going to be goodbye for a short while, they were just happy to be out of that horrible hospital room. 

"We're here" Polly announces, taking her handbag into her hands and getting ready to get out of the car. Liz looks out of the window to see a group of men all walking around, packing things up. She could hear Michael sigh as the door opens and Polly gets out. 

"No" Michael says, walking stick in hand. "no fucking way" he shakes his hand, looking towards Polly exasperated. 

"Have you ever eaten hedgehog Michael?" a man with a wide brimmed hat, who Liz could only assume was Aberama Gold from Polly's previous description shouts to him. Liz tried not to laugh at this as she could feel her boyfriends eyes burn the back of her skull for finding it even remotely funny. 

"I'm getting back in this car" He sighs, taking out his cigarettes and putting one between his lips. 

"Michael. You are number two on Luca Changretta's Hitlist" Polly shakes her head. 

"Well, I'll stay in a hotel then"

"And if you do that, I'll know where you are, Liz would know, as well as the people who take you there and the people who work there" 

"Hotels don't move around either Michael" Liz steps forward, Polly gives her a grateful look. 

"If anyone was to come for you Michael, the Palmers and Boswells will put up a fair fight" Mr Gold nods in his direction. Polly smiles and moves towards her bag, taking out Michael's medication. Mr Gold's son takes them in his hands to put somewhere safe. Liz's eyes dart towards Michael, who is staring right back at her. He felt lost that he was going to be away from her again, and scared what would happen without being there to protect her. He hadn't been able to spend any quality time with her since being out of hospital, let alone when he was in there with all the nurses and doctors fluttering in and out of his room. Liz approaches him, taking the remainder of his cigarette out of his mouth and bringing it to her own, taking a drag. He raises an eyebrow at her before placing his arms around her waist. 

"I wish you could come with me" he whispers in her ear, burying his head in her neck.

"I know... I wish I could too, but its for the best. I'll see you before you know it" Liz pulls her head back and slowly places her lips on Michael's. He sighs and melts into the kiss, sadness washing over them both. For Liz, It felt like time was slowing down, as if she needed to take a mental photograph of this moment as a keepsake to give her strength through the times that were to come, with him by her side. 

"I love you" she whispers, handing back his cigarette. 

"I love you too baby" he whispers back, placing a peck on her nose before pulling apart. He smiles at her once  more before placing a tight grip on his walking stick and heads forward towards Aberama Gold. He hugs Polly goodbye, and then within moments, he was a small figure in the distance, the car occupied with Liz and Polly, drives away.

"He'll be alight" Liz looks at Polly who is watching her, almost as if she can read her mind. 

"I know he will... I'll miss him thats all" Liz smiles, twirling her promise ring around her finger.