{Chapter 3}

"Stop staring at me," Dream complained, staring into the mirror at his masked face and disheveled hair. The mirror seemed to distort. Was that Wilbur? 

"Oh, that's just Wilbur," Nikki laughed. "He likes to keep an eye on prisoners."

"Prisoners?" Dream's eyes narrowed. "There are more?"

"Well of course," Nikki replied. "There used to be cells filled with them. Long time ago. Now, not so many. We have about... 20 now, including you."

"Huh," Dream looked back into the mirror. "Do they all get to eat dinner with Technoblade and his so called friends?"

"Actually, no. You're the only one," Nikki frowned, her german accent rolling off her tongue. "I don't know why. Maybe Techno thinks you're special."

"I do not," a voice came from downstairs. Dream raised a brow. 

"Does he also keep an eye on prisoners all the time?" the blonde pointed outside the door.

"No, that's Wilbur's job. Techno just has really good hearing."

"Is it because he has those pig ear things? Can he read my mind?"

Nikki laughed sweetly, and Dream swore he saw the mirror glowing pink. "No, he can't, don't worry!" she reassured. "Are you ready? Follow me!"

~

Dream took a seat near a blonde-haired boy. He looked around and scanned the room. Next to the boy he was sitting with was a brunette. He wore a dark green shirt and clutched a jar. Looking closer, Dream realised they were bees. Beside him sat a man in a yellow sweater and a long coat. A beanie was perched on top of his chocolatey curls. On the other side sat Technoblade, the oh-so-mighty prince who walked around in a poor village, pockets filled with gold. Beside him was a middle-aged man with platinum shoulder-length hair. He wore a striped green bucket hat. Dream's eyes widened when he saw something flutter behind him.

"A-are those wings?" he gasped.

Technoblade shot him a glare. "That's not how you address a king."

"Please, Techno," the man waved him off. "It's alright. I'm Phil. King Philza or whatever, you can call me Phil. And you are?"

"Uh," Dream swallowed. "I'm Dream. Just Dream. I live in a village and I'm a bounty hunter."

"Thief," Technoblade corrected. Dream stared daggers at him.

"I presume you're the one who tried stealing the gold?" Phil guessed. Dream's face reddened.

"I- I'm sorry, I-" 

"No, no," Phil chuckled. "I don't mean to scare you. Nobody ever passes the test."

"What?" Dream looked at Technoblade. "You've done this before?" 

"Many times," Technoblade smiled. "You all just can't resist some gold, can you?" 

Dream gritted his teeth. 

Phil noticed the tension and interjected. "Okay, okay. At least you didn't try attacking the man like most do." he patted the shoulder of Technoblade, who shrugged him off.

"Are you a bounty hunter?" the blonde boy beside him exclaimed, staring at him with wide eyes. "Like you catch people for money and shit?"

"Bounty hunter? Isn't that like, Jar Jar Binks or something?" the brunette piped up.

The blonde shook his head. "No, that's a fictional bounty hunter. He is a real bounty hunter. I'm Tommy, by the way."

"I'm Tubbo," the brunette added cheerily.