Chapter 2

He hated the city

He hated the city.

He felt confined to his skin--though he could chalk that up to the fact that he had to shift in some closet in some motel just to ensure as little destruction property as possible. It was the city--he hated it. Too many bodies in very little living space. He always seemed to be ten feet away from a crowd, or building, or some human inhabited place.

No wonder de Rais had chosen this place, he thought, his heavy boots crunching over fallen autumn leaves dipped in morning dew. It was strange, how he could hate autumn and the slow beginnings of bitter cold weather, he could also fall in love with the view of the leaves turning into all sorts of shades of orange and brown. It almost made him forget that he was standing in the middle of a cemetery while waiting for the wilding to come out of the mausoleum.

As an Alpha, there were certain things that he could just do; sensing one of his own nearby was one of those things. It was much like a lingering presence to him, a lasting feeling that remained dull until something triggered it.

Of course being in close proximity helped him a little--he was nearly two states away when he got the call that Saoirse had been spotted.

An old pack member had spotted her, just when he seemed to stop looking for he quickly finished his business in Oklahoma and drove nonstop to Nebraska--and since then he'd driven all around the city, hating the compact, retricted feeling, until his wolfy senses tingled and he found her.

He was lucky to figure that while she was a wildling, she remembered how important it was to find a secluded place for the wolf to run wild; hell, even he didn't think to shift in cemetery with as much open space as this.

Bo scratched at the five o'clock shadow he was too lazy to shave and leaned against the tree closest to the marble building. Sensations more intense after a shift, he figured she'd figure out someone else was there, and he'd rather she didn't get a head start at running before he caught her. His hand venturing a little way's south, he fingered at the dipped scars on his throat.

Five months and the scar was still there to remind him of what she did.

Rather than spend the next few minutes sulking over something that can be discussed on the car ride home, he chose to focus on the mission.

He still remembered the day he got it--how his senses, on edge, seemed to detect every detail from her; how her hair smelled gentle, like vanilla, but her skin smelled like the surroundings woods and her skin was soft rose petals... it wasn't as if he could ignore her appearance, she had him pinned with his throat lodged in her mouth.

Taking in a long, deep breath he could smell the vanilla, a quick reminder that she wasn't that far away from him and, if he kept letting his mind wander, that he probably had little time to catch her before she ran again. Bo really couldn't afford to waste any more time. When the doors began to open, and he caught the sight of the wild dark hair that belonged to Saoirse, he didn't have enough time to think.