Chapter 5

By the time Bo came back, the scratch on Saoirse's face was beginning to fade into a thin line along her skin

By the time Bo came back, the scratch on Saoirse's face was beginning to fade into a thin line along her skin. As willing as she was to sit back and accept that the reaction she got from her mother was what she had coming to her, she still growled under her breath at the sight of him.

This could be misconstrued as his fault; he was the one who brought her back, he was the one who tracked her down. He, he, he and not a single bit of it was her.

Ellis, on the other hand, had made up his mind. It was all her fault. It could still be that he resented her, that his loyalty to Bo and the memory of her nearly ripping out his former Alpha's throat was why he hated her so much. After all, he didn't warn her about the sting from the disinfectant before he started to rub it in. He didn't give her comforting words like they're just upset, they didn't mean it. He was just silent, fixing up the Alpha that he didn't want with narrowed slits for eyes.

And when Bo moved into the seat across from Saoirse, he moved up, making a spectacle of his removal from the situation.

"How are they?" Ellis asked, as if Saoirse wasn't the victim, that she was the one to blame. "They holding up?"

"Saoirse gonna live, or what?" Bo asked.

"It's just a scratch. It's not like her parents are carrying rabies." Ellis snapped. A very sharp, cold glare was sent in her direction. "She'll live."

"You know--she's your Alpha, now--"

"In two days she won't be." Ellis snapped. Again, this time his voice was much sharper.

"Until then, quit with the attitude. A little less diva; a lot more Beta."

Ellis glowered in Bo's direction.

Saoirse remembered when Ellis was kind to her. She remembered when Ellis used to help her out of trees and taught her how to howl at the moon when she was seven. She remembered a hell of a lot of things about Ellis, but not once did she had an ill memory about this; she didn't remember hate in his yes or anger in his voice when it was about her. Ellis was always the sweet, kind Beta that once told her she could be like him someday.

She had to expect this. She knew that, in the years to come, more would begin to hate her. they always do--first, they would be sympathetic, then they would pity her, and then they would hate her. They would stay away from her. They would alienate her.

Tell me, Bo, how is staying good for me?

She leaned back into the cushion of the booth, calming her breathing before she blew a gasket entirely. There was nothing good about the Doherty pack. She didn't belong with them anymore. She belonged on her own, away from people she could hurt. If only Bocould see that.