Chapter 12

Everybody remembered the  day William Church put a silver bullet in Judd Cleary's head

Everybody remembered the day William Church put a silver bullet in Judd Cleary's head. The only one who didn't remember it with crystal clear memory was Ellis, and only because his father begged him to stay home-no child should have to see their grandfather bite the bullet.

But no other child had a grandfather with wildling blood.

While the other kids spoke about it for days-both disgusted and amazed that the bullet could pierce through bone-Ellis was forced outside of the territory with his older brother on a camping trip.

He couldn't look Bo in the eyes for weeks. His own grandfather, dead, because some Alpha decided that he couldn't be cured and that it was just "easier" to put him down like that. His best friend's father had killed his only living Grandfather, and everyone around him naturally assumed it wouldn't affect him.

But Bo had a way of making you forgive him. Bo left his favorite candy bar on the steps of his family's trailer and stole the prizes out of Cracker Jack boxes. All because Ellis was the only kid who liked Bo-was the only one who could tolerate the idea that a kind-hearted boy would wind up being an Alpha.

As Ellis stared down at Bo's limp form, Saoirse shaking him awake over and over as if somehow that'll wake him right up, he knew Bo would be handing him some stupid trading card out of a box of Cracker Jack's to persuade him to help Saoirse.

Because right now, Bo wouldn't have given a single shit about himself. These past few days it was all about Saoirse; protect her, she needs us.

Not once did Bo bring up his grandfather. Not once did Bo call Ellis a hypocrite for acting just as everyone else did. Bo didn't mention a single thing this entire time, even though he was thinking it every time Ellis leered at Saoirse.

Because he was right-Bo was always right.

You owe me a damn Babe Ruth, he quickly thought to himself before he pushed through the crowd.

The uproar began a long while ago-members of the pack pushed against each other in outrage. He could hear them curse and sneer her name, all out for blood while she kneeled next to Bo in a frenzied panic. Not a single person in the crowd expected this outcome-no one expected her to win. But now... now the Tribunal was over, and they had their victor.

A wildling would be their Alpha.

He reached Saoirse first, William Church by his side in a heartbeat. He couldn't get a read on Bo's father, although he wasn't exactly trying. William Church made Ellis sick to his stomach. His grandfather's blood might as well still be dripping from his hands.

He wrenched Saoirse from Bo's body-in a few hours he'd be awake, and it was better if he didn't remain in the middle of an arena-and pulled her through an opening in the crowd.

"Bo-!" She called out, her voice a crackling mess.

"His father will deal with him, alright? I got to get you out of here before they rip you to shreds."