Chapter 3

Her fingers maintained an endless tap, tap, tap on the dashboard and it wasn't long before Bo was smacking at her hand

Her fingers maintained an endless tap, tap, tap on the dashboard and it wasn't long before Bo was smacking at her hand. Give or take five-to-six hours, the two had been nearly silent since Bo gave her the news--that because she'd attacked the Alpha (former) all those months ago she was now in charge of the pack, and her silence had been her only truthful response to it. How could she respond to it?

Saoirse's true response would have been to run, but Bo had her handcuffed to the door handle, and with every glance around her, in an attempt to find something to break her loose, she caught the silver glint of a gun wedged between the seat beside him. If he was still quicker than her (at least, she figured. She'd yet to feel any massive changes in her body, and he did take her down pretty hard) than what was the point in trying to reach for something he could snatch up first?

She was stuck sinking back into the seat, her feet planted on the dashboard now.

When she stole another look in his direction he was holding a scowl.

"Get your feet--" He started, but was too agitated to finish it as he smacked at her feet, too. "Okay, I have rules when you're in my car."

Finally, there was some other noise inside the car beside the low sound of his radio playing classic rock nonstop, without any commercials. Every song that played struck a chord with her, reminding her of all the times that she'd sit beside her dad while he worked on his old Camaro.

To Saoirse, it seemed that Thunderstruck wouldn't be as relaxing as it had been when she listened to it with her father.

Her eyes wandered up, and with the tightening of his jaw she took his features in. He was much older than she was, with short, sandy brown hair that was all mussed up from the open window. His eyes, when they weren't dark with anger or annoyance, were green. His flannel shirt huffed at his arms and shoulders. When he turned to look at her, catching her exploratory gazing, she quickly looked away.

He was strong--he appeared to reek of it. The way he clenched and unclenched his fist and the muscles in his forearms flexed with each move told her that he had every right to be an Alpha--and it made her question just how in the hell she managed to take someone like him down? He could defeat her; he could easily destroy her in a fight. And yet... she still knew the flavor of his blood, still remembered it on his lips and how it felt to tear through his skin.

She still remembered how he looked beneath her--almost weak and waiting for her to finish, to stop.

Now, according to him, he was no longer the Alpha. She was. Saoirse de Rais was now the Alpha and Bo Church had become the Luna--a role that wasn't much in their pack. It was a role meant for the mate of the Alpha. Last time Saoirse checked, they weren't mated. He might be attractive as hell, but Saoirse didn't know him all that well for her to consider him as anything other than a former superior.