Chapter 24

( a/n ) I'm putting this author note up here just to mention that this chapter is steamy

( a/n ) I'm putting this author note up here just to mention that this chapter is steamy. Like, at the end, because chapter 25 is a pretty important chapter via this relationship. Yes, this means that certain scenes will end up in the Private Chapters book for LBD (don't worry, it'll still be steamy in this version just not to the full extent). That being said, I hope you enjoy and I hope you like and comment xoxo

-- --

Saoirse didn't want to spare a thought for how wrong this could go. She knew that Enzo could say no (it wasn't that hard to convince her), and she knew that failure was absolutely possible. She had to have hope, even if she'd never been the hopeful type. No, her strengths leaned more toward pessimism. She was more apt at believing everything could go wrong; it seemed as if she and Bo had switched sides for this issue.

She had to admit that she wasn't used to be the optimistic one, even if her optimism was rather pathetic for the time being. Someone had to believe that the stupid plan'll work, and it might as well be her.

She tried to spare her thoughts for other things—like the low music that Bo played, or the fragrance of his Old Spice that filled the truck as they sped down the empty stretch of highway. It was late, now, every few miles they'd see a lonely truck driver pulling onto the side of the road because it was just far too late to keep going. She paid attention to how often Bo would yawn (once every ten minutes, now, he really ought to pull over and let her drive). The moon was out and the sky way full of stars; she could practically see the faraway cosmos with how clear the night sky was. Sitting in the middle of the truck's long front seat, she switched the station until it was just radio static.

"Maybe we should just pull over. I saw some sleeping bags in the back."

Bo shrugged, yawning. "We can't waste time taking a nap."

"Are you telling me you can't make up time in the morning? You're tired, and you won't let me drive. Pull over onto an empty road and set up camp." She pointed toward a road sign indicating an upcoming road. "Or, we can get into a wreck because you can't keep your eyes open."

He side-eyed her, grunting beneath his breath as he took the exit. Pavement turned into dirt and gravel as they drove up the road, far from street lights and big rigs. They reached then, where the road just stopped halfway as if construction just up and left. Keeping the headlights on, Bo hopped out of the truck and set up the back for sleeping. He had more than just sleeping bags; he pulled out scratchy blankets and flat pillows—but they were enough for the night. The air chilled her, forcing her to zip up her jacket all the way as she sat on the edge of the truck's bed.

Looking up, she counted constellations, eyeing the moon.

Waning Gibbous. Not long before the next full moon. She scratched at her jacket, remembering how lonely the last one had been. It was never fun shifting alone—even though other shifted with her just to keep an eye on her while the wildling blood ran free, she was still with other people. Stuck inside mausoleums and empty barns, all alone, made the shift unenjoyable. She looked over her shoulder as Bo stood at the front of the truck, underneath the hood to check if everything was running smoothly.