CHAPTER 1

"THE MOST MISERABLE

PARENTS ARE THOSE

WHO ONLY CARE

ABOUT THEMSELVES,

UNDERSTAND ONLY

THEIR OWN TROUBLE

AND

SEE ONLY THEIR

OWN PERSPECTIVE."

🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀

Rather than feeling my usual optimistic and rejuvenated self, all I felt was the feeling of being trapped as fuck. It felt like I was suffocating and a heaviness pressing down on my shoulders. It seemed as if I had the whole damn world on me, causing them to droop. With my freshman year of college at NYU (New York University) completely behind me now, literally "Thank You God", I found myself standing on the concrete steps of the NYU campus, admiring the scenery; started looking behind me at the enormously spectacular, Greek themed golden glass doors. Behind those doors stood another set of golden glass doors, endless classrooms, and lecture halls.

From where I was standing, I could see all the other students from different ethnicities rushing through the corridors, to food stands, or just talking to their friends. But not me, I was just fine outside in the chilly New York air; just watching the radiant sun slowly creep down the sky; into a beautiful sunset. While I had my back turned to the hubbub, and listening to their sounds of happiness, I listened to the different groups discussing which questions were harder on the exams we had just taken this week. I listened to their cheerful voices chattering away. All the different voices leaked out through the golden glass doors.

I felt my Samsung phone vibrate, somewhere, deep inside my Gucci backpack. I didn't need to look at the screen to know who it was calling me. My mom, calling to quote on quote "checkup" on me. She wasn't really checking up on me at all. We didn't really have the normal mother and daughter conversations. For us, our conversations were always one-sided-words. Shit constantly flowing out of her damn mouth; never leaving me any time to respond to her.

I was hesitant at first, before I decided to slide my Gucci backpack from my shoulders, while I pulled my right knee up, and balanced my bag on my leg. As I opened the zipper to my backpack, dreadfulness filled my insides. It started in my stomach; gnawing away until the feeling had spread in all directions to consume my entire body. By the time my cell was clutched in my hand, my whole body was trembling.

I had twenty-nine missed calls, fourteen voice mails, and three texts messages. I ignored the calls and voice mails and went straight into my messages. The three-messages read:

Mom: REALLY IYANA! WHERE ARE YOU? ANSWER YOUR PHONE!

Mom: GODDAMNIT YANA! WHAT'S THE DAMN POINT OF A PHONE, IYANA, IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ANSWER THE MOTHER-FUCKER! ANSWER THE DAMN PHONE!

Mom: WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU LITTLE GIRL? I'M NOT EVEN FUCKING PLAYING WITH YOU EITHER, IYANA NICOLE JAMES! CALL BACK ME NOW GODDAMNIT!

I was dealing with great difficulty. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat and zipped up my Gucci backpack again. When it was safely lodged on my shoulders, the leather straps digging into my flesh, I called my mom back. Within two rings, my mom had answered. Her voice was loud and full of anger.

(THE PHONE CONVERSATION)

Victoria (Mom): "Iyana," that was all she said.

Yana: "Hi, Mom."

Victoria (Mom): "Well I'm waiting?"

Mom's voice grew stronger, and louder; as if that were even fucking possible. I had no choice but to hold my Samsung phone away from my damn ear.

Yana: "It was fine," I said. "I think I did good."

Victoria (Mom): "You think?" her words were like venom. "What does that even fucking mean?"

Yana: "I did great," I said quickly, and began to chew on the inside of my cheek.

Yana: "Mom, I meant to say I did great."

Mom: "You did great?" She snorted sarcastically. "I'm glad you did great on your Economics and Finance exams." And then she mumbled, adding: "Jesus, I swear what's the point of keeping Yana in school. What a fucking waste of time with my fucking money."

How did you guys like it?

Iyana?

Victoria?

I hope you enjoy ❤

To Be Continue.......

Don't forget to "Comment and Vote"