CHAPTER 4

TOXIC PARENT

"THE TOXIC PARENT
SEE THE CHILD
AS A THREAT
TO THEIR OWN EGO
AND
HAVING THE CHILD
OVERSHADOW
THE PARENT IS NOT
AN OPTION
IN THEIR MIND."

🥀🥀🥀

I took out my little bar of dove honey soap, my face dripping water everywhere, and began to lather it between my hands. "Girl Yes!" "For as long as I can remember."

"Bitch, I honestly don't know how you survived."

I scrubbed my face until my skin squeaked and I washed the suds away. Not wanting to leave just then, I decided to apply some foundation and mascara. Nova resumed laughing nervously, probably wondering why I would make my mother wait. As much as I liked my bestie Nova, I couldn't tell her about why I was willing to defy my mother. It all boiled down to my inheritance of Fifteen Million Dollars, my safety net: it allowed me to push the limits a little. How could I even bring the subject up and keep it sounding causal? It would come across as bragging. I couldn't even muster the fucking courage to talk about it with my mother, let alone my new bestie Nova, I had known less than a year.

Despite my inability to talk about it, it was part of my back-up plan, the only thing keeping me going. If push came to shove, I could tell my mother Victoria I didn't need her damn money and would be able to cut her ass out of my life completely, the only one I would care about is my other mother Nicole, because she truly needs me especially since she is sick "always drunk". I had dreamed about it since I started college at NYU, running the scene over and over in my damn mind until I knew it as well as an actor or actress knows their script.

The only thing I lacked was the balls to do it.

"Iyana?" Nova's voice brought me out of my own mind. "Yana are you okay?"

I nodded. "I'm fine, thanks. Just can't wait for the summer to be over, you know Nova?"

Nova shook her head, a sad look in her pretty brown eyes. "If we were in any other situation, I'd laugh."

I glanced at myself in the mirror. My caramel skin, slightly lighter than my mother Victoria's, glistened where I had washed it. My green-hazel eyes stared back at me, glistening in the light streaming through the window. Clumps of damp dark brown curly hair stuck together at the sides of my face.

"Come on," I said. "Let's go." I collected by bag and left the bathroom, my feet moving as slowly as possible. Nova stayed behind me. I could feel her nervousness in the air around me like an electric current. I tried not to let it bother me as we went back into our room. My mother was still standing in the doorway.

"Excuse me," Nova muttered. When my mother refused to move, Nova's face scrunched up into an angry expression and she barged right past her, almost knocking her off her feet. Nova stormed into her room and slammed her bag onto her desk.