CHAPTER 6

TOXIC PARENTS

"GREAT PARENTING
HAPPENS WHEN
YOU START
CONTROLLING,
YOURSELF AND
STOP
CONTROLLING
YOUR CHILD
INSTEAD
ENCOURAGE
GIVE
UNCONDITIONAL LOVE
TO YOUR CHILD."

🥀🥀🥀

"How's school?"

"Fine," I said quickly. Despite my rash response, I knew she would inquire further. That was the deal, after all.

"Your damn grades?"

"Good."

"Specifics dammit," she demanded.

"I...I haven't got my results back yet."

My mother looked up from the menu. "And when will you be fucking receiving those then!?"

"J--July."

"GODDAMNIT WHEN IN JULY!?" My mother raised her voice. "ARE YOU FUCKING BEING VAGUE ON PURPOSE TO ANNOY ME, OR DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION!?"

"I-I-I don't know when exactly mom," I said quietly, shrinking back into my chair. "I'll check the website."

"Good, you better." she said. Her dark brown eyes returned to the menu in front of her.

I tried to keep my breaths steady and silent as my heart twisted around inside of me. My mother had been known to be aggravated by the littlest thing, like the sound of someone breathing, and I didn't want to enrage her anymore. I wilted in my seat, like a flower drying up and drying under the sun's powerful rays and prayed to any and all of the Gods to send the waiter Marco back over, or some damn body please.

It was an excruciating ten minutes before Marco the waiter filtered over. He pulled a small notebook and pen from his apron and stood to my right.

"How are we doing again? Are you guys ready to order again?"

"Yes, Only drinks," my mother said. "I will have the Domaine Leroy Chambertin Grand Cru 1990 ($7,447-dollar red wine).
My daughter will just have a water."

The waiter Marco scribbled away.

I leaned forward. "Actually, mom, could I have a pink----"

"No," my mother interrupted.

"---lemonade?" I said the last word slowly, sadly, and sat back in my chair.