Chapter 7: Why

I sink in the chair next to me, trying to wrap my head around what I was seeing.

"But- what- how- when did you guys do this?"

Pepper coming over and rests her hand on my shoulder for comfort, "we did it when we knew he had figured out time travel. Even though you were one of the people who turned to dust the judge never questioned it, maybe its because Tony Stark was asking her to adopt a boy who hadn't returned. Either way it got accepted."

"But why?"

Peppers eyes seem to glaze over as if shes in a deep memory.

Peppers Pov

"What are you going to do when he gets back Tony?" Steve asked.

"I don't know," Tony grumbled, "Im not 'legally' his guardian."

I gave my husband a sad smile before grabbing his hand. He looked up at me almost with tears in his eyes. He cared for this boy.

"Will they take him Lady Pepper?" Thor asked looking at me.

"It's a possibility," I whisper, not wanting to lose Peter just as much as the next guy.

"So adopt him," a voice says from behind us.

We all turn our heads so fast that I think a few of ours crack and see the red-headed assasin leaning against the door frame.

"Thats- thats a wonderful idea," Tony jumps up and walks out of the room.

I quickly get up and follow him, "where are you going Tony?"

"To get ready, I have a judge to see," he rushes in our room and grabs his 'Science Rocks' T-shirt that Peter gave him and a blazer.

"Tony are you sure this is a good idea?"

He stops fumbling for a minute and looks at me.

"I can't lose him again Pep," his voice is strained, "not when I just got him back."

"But what if he doesn't come back," I know its not what he wants to hear but its a possibility.

His eyes harden and he turns away from me, "He will."

I blink away the memory and see Peter looking at me expactantly.

"Because we love you. He loved you so much. You were his family Peter. After seeing you lose everyone you cared about he knew he had to do something. He wanted to adopt you for awhile but was scared of becoming like his father-"

"But Tony could never," Peter cuts me off.

"I know, but he didn't. He loved you and when you turned to dust he was broken."

Peters eyes start to water.

Peters Pov

I look down trying to blink back the tears but instead they fall. I never had a prodominate father figure. My father died when I was a child and I saw my Uncle get shot. And now I'm finding out that my idle, someone who I saw as a father figure adopted me, WANTED me and he's gone.

"Tado! Welcome to your new room," Tony flips on the lights.

The room is amazing the king sized bed is covered in a red blanket. The walls are blue, the celling has the glow in the dark stars and led lights. Theres a desk in front of a massive window that overlooks the city. I can see a large walk in closet and a bathroom.

"Its not much, just a start but I thought you could decorate the rest," I give him my best smile.

His eyes soften, "hey kid it'll be okay. I know its hard and it may seem like forever until you're better again but it will happen."

I nod tightly before he sighs and leaves closing the door behind him.

"I miss him Pepper," I whisper as I watch a tear fall down onto the frame of the picture, I have a matching one in my room, alonmg with a picture of me and Aunt May, they are the only things I've put up since I came here.

"Oh so do I Pete," she gathers me in her arms, "I would give anything to be with him right now, to make sure Morgen knows her dad, to have the team together again."

I feel my shoulder get damp and she must be crying into me just as I'm crying into her, then I remeber what Deadpool said.

"Pepper!" I pull away, she looks startled.

"What is it Peter?"

"i might have a way to bring him back."