5 · do you read stuff?

The café she gave me directions was currently blasting Artic Monkeys in a minimum volume and the smell of cupcakes filled the whole area

I'd been here once, alone, and I remembered they served the best chocolate muffins and chai tea. I was thankful this wasn't crowded enough to have some people chattering loudly.

Doing as I was told, I asked the brown-haired waiter where the book room was.

"Hey, what can I get you?" He grinned at me, holding a notepad and a pen.

"Actually, I'm here to read books."

He nodded, scratching his neck. "Oh, just go over to that table and behind that wall, you'll find the room."

"Thanks."

I opened the mahogany door and it was quite surprising to see no one had arrived yet and I was the only person there. Two of renaissance artworks were hung on the creamy walls complementing the tall, wooden bookshelves even further. Any sign of light were blotted out by the drawn light-blue curtains.

I paid no mind to how many minutes have passed, since I pulled a chair out and flipped open the dog-eared page of the novel I was determined to finish soon, before the girl came.

The sound of the door cracking open snapped me out of my daydream bubble, causing me to snap close the book. There stood a tall, intimidating man with a deep frown etched on his features. He stared at me hard, confused, as if he didn't know I'd be here.

"Who are you?"

His voice was that of melted butter, smooth and had a rough edge to it, his French accent slightly detectable.

"I'm Sara—"

He didn't let me finish my sentence. Instead, he rolled up his sleeves and marched his way to me, unamused.

"Don't tell me a waiter told you about this room. That excuse is old enough."

My mouth hung open. He didn't even let me speak and spoke as if he owned the place. What a complete prick.

"Actually, a girl invited me."

He let out a chuckle, nearing the table, and he leaned on his palms as he stood across me.

"That's a good one."

I was rendered speechless, because, firstly, he stared at me in disbelief, as if I was kidding, secondly, my throat ran dry under his compelling blue eyes. I scanned him to see the width of his shirt hugged his lean, yet, strong body impeccably.

Let’s not forget about his stubble, not too much and perfectly trimmed. My eyes stopped where he'd undone the first buttons and it showed his toned, hairless chest. I could tell the rest of his body was surely a work of art, but I tried to not envision what was underneath his shirt. For god's sake, I had a boyfriend.