12 · drive her home

AS THE CLOCK ticked by and glasses were refilled multiple times, the alcohol kicked in slow

We were talking about books and I was thankful our conversation veered to something else. Since he didn't mention his pen name, I wasn't sure if I'd read his past works. Maybe, two or three.

Everyone knew of him and didn't know about him, too. He'd remained faceless online-no author profile and no specific detail about his personal life. He was just... the author of his books.

"Does this ever get old?" I asked, curious when he mentioned people emailing him for a face reveal and that one fan even insisted paying him to see his "insanely gorgeous" face in their words.

He laughed, the sound faint and dipped in amusement. "Not really. No, It's quite entertaining to be honest. The fact that they usually visualize me based on my works is a huge compliment for me."

I nodded, squinting my eyes to keep myself stable, and soon, his smiling face splits into three and that's when I knew I was damned.

"Am I boring you with this author talk?" he asked.

I waved a hand in air, shaking my head. "No. I'm just tipsy. Go on. Have you been working on something new?"

"Yes, I have been. For a year now." He said, pouring in my empty glass. "It's still a mess of random plotlines meshed together."

I nodded my head, willing him to go further.

"I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Whilst other authors are pumping out book after book, I'm still stuck editing the same lines from chapter eleven."

"Why? Do you struggle with describing certain things?" I asked, contemplating his statement.

He said as he refilled his glass. "Among other things, yes, I often struggle to find the correct word to exert the perfect synonym." He finished off with a shrug. "I specialize in evoking certain emotions though."

I arched my brow and he went and finished off with a smug grin. "My readers' words. Not mine."

"What was the chapter about?" I teased.

"Not sure if you'd like it if I told you." He continued anyway. "It's a voyeuristic scene, and quite frankly, I'd never written anything like that before. It also involves a fair amount of fear play. I'm afraid the dubious consent content feels like something forced to my readers. I take consent quite seriously."

"That's thoughtful of you." I said.

In that moment, I was tempted to ask his pen name and read one of his works. And I had not even a tiny bit of doubt that his words were as beautiful as he looked. I had no doubt that they'd make my fingers wander down south like he had the past few days. I had no doubt they'd have my imagination run free and wet my panties until' they're soaked and drenched in utter yearning.