13 · ghosts of the past

tw: sexual assault, self-harm, eating disorder, panic attack, emotional abuse

CURRENTLY, I was sat inside my car, the window on my side half-down, in front of the grocery store. I sipped on the half-empty frappe I got on my way here and waited for him to show up. Surely, he wouldn't stand me up when he'd urgently texted me twenty minutes prior.

When he hit me up, I was half way to my work, but I called in sick to Mrs. Kenneth and came straight here.

Despite the steady rhythm of rain pattering down my windshield and the moist fogging up all the windows, sweat dampened at the back of my neck, searching his face among the peers entering and leaving the store.

I even scanned the pavement that led to the main road, hoping I'd catch a glimpse of him. It'd been thirty minutes already. He's nowhere to be found. My phone beeped on my lap as he texted me again.

C: I'm here.

My gaze ran across the park lot, eyeing to see him but only the sight of a new car coming to park two paces away from me and an elderly couple rushing to their car to avoid heavier rainfall.

Sara: I don't see you.

He didn't respond to that. I exhaled and leaned back into my seat, my anxiety level rising. He better had not changed his mind and went to wherever his mind steered to.

A delayed beat later, a rapt knock coming from behind startled me. And I looked behind to see a pair of mischievous hazel eyes and a matching bright smile on his face, his palms planted on the window of the backseat clearing the misty screen.

I unlocked the doors and let him slide in the passenger seat.

"Jesus, you scared me, Cole," I rolled my eyes at him just as he comfortably sat with his feet up on the dashboard.

"Aw, man, you always love surprises," Cole said, holding in an impending laughter, drinking in my disbelief. "Last time I checked, you're the boring sibling."

"Whatever, just don't creep up at me like a serial killer next time." I grumbled, crouching to get the latte I got for him.

"Sure," his face lit up at the sight of his favorite drink and muttered a small thank you as he coolly drank from the straw.

I stole a glance while he sipped his latte like he didn't have a care in the whole world. His usual bloodshot eyes were gone, in place of the faraway look, there was this clean look in his eyes, a vast difference to the way he looked five months ago. His vintage band tshirt was neatly ironed and he didn't smell like marijuana. His usually messy, long hair was tied into a neat, low ponytail. He looked clean and healthy.

"Where is she?" I asked.

He simply shrugged his sh0ulders and continued sipping. "No idea. Probably playing poker with her friends or out with Jacob to god knows where."