6 · she's just a friend

MY FINGERS rummaging through the last drawer of Daniel's closet was the only sound in our bedroom

MY FINGERS rummaging through the last drawer of Daniel's closet was the only sound in our bedroom. Occasionally, I'd whip my head around, afraid someone might catch me sneaking, Daniel won't be home any time soon.

Beads of sweat gathered around my forehead, despite having done this several times before, this was something I'd hate if Daniel would do, but here I was, doing the one thing I absolutely loathed.

I was scared with the idea of him becoming even more distrustful rather than having to use another lame excuse to cover the mess I'd been doing behind his back.

Beneath abandoned notepads, business cards and photo albums, an extra credit card lay, untouched for two months til' then. I shouldn't be doing this, but my bank account had emptied out.

Plus, I didn't have the energy to ask for extra amount of allowance from Daniel because he'd done more than enough for me. He'd question why and where and how much I was spending abundant lately, and ask me questions I hadn't figured out legit answers to.

"Babe, I'm home."

As soon as I heard light footfalls from the living room, I froze in my tracks, before telling myself to take a deep breath. He was supposed to be on night duty.

I didn't have time to hide the card and slam the drawer shut, because he was already leaning against the door, his arms folded with confusion swimming in his eyes.

I didn't blame him for being suspicious. The card he assumed he'd lost five months ago was between my fingers in perfect condition.

"I decided to dust a few things," I said.

"It's not Sunday yet."

"Why not?" I shrugged. "And I found the card you lost in the drawer, you know, when I was cleaning the drawer."

Lying wasn't my best ability, but I was learning to master it, since I'd known honesty wasn't always the best policy when it comes to surviving life. Without some lies sugar-coating my imperfections, I wouldn't have made out of my old life. I wouldn't be living with Daniel in a comfortable place.

"How was your day?" I changed the subject, carefully tucking the card between the pages of a red album.

"It was busy as usual."

He trudged closer to hug me and kiss the top of my head. "I missed you so much. Matt is letting me off tonight and taking my place. He said I need a break and mend things with you. So, I'm wondering if you wanna go out a bit."

I nodded almost immediately, scared he'd figure me out. It was an upgrade he didn't ask me further questions.

Matt was his best mate since high school. He never had me feeling unwelcome in his presence. But he made sure I knew he wasn't my biggest fan. It's safe to say we were okay. Matt knew about me more than he needed to.