Chapter 41 - Chin Up, Princess

The day of the recoupling was categorized by overeager anxiety as Islanders attempted to secure their couples, or wedge themselves into one. With an equal number of guys and girls, there was no risk of getting dumped tonight. But the final was looming closer, and soon, our numbers would start dropping rapidly as America decides a winner. My focus was on trying to straighten things out with Charlie, wherever he was.

I wandered through the villa, peeking out the windows down to the garden with no luck of locating him. I shielded my eyes from the overhead sun as I stepped outside and peered around. My faith began to waver.

"Maddie, over here!" a voice called out. I turned expectantly and was surprised to see Gray waving me over at the loungers. As I walked over, David and Blake dispersed. "Just the person I was looking for."

"Have you seen Charlie?" I asked.

"I'll help you with your problem if you'll help me with mine," Gray enticed. I reluctantly agreed. "I need to win Peach back. How do I do that?"

I was taken aback by the abruptness, and full disclosure, the fact that Gray was showing me a spark within him that was previously incredibly dull. "Woah, okay. I don't know, Gray," I shifted.

"I just want to make her happy, Maddie. Like you said the first time we met, I need your stamp of approval. And right now, I'm begging you." He stared into my eyes with genuine desperation.

"If this could lead to Peach's happiness, fine. I'm sorry about what I said in yesterday's challenge, by the way. But when I called you boring, Peach and I were trying to decide what's best for her."

"Gee, thanks, Maddie. Rubbing salt into an open wound here," Gray joked.

I smiled lightly. "See? This is what we need more from you... I hate to say it, but a personality. It felt like you were so closed up, and that was a problem with Peach. She says that you guys could talk all day and she'd still know next to nothing about you."

Gray's brows crinkled in confusion. "I was letting her talk... is that bad?"

"It's more than just letting her talk. You have to have a conversation and contribute to that conversation. That's probably why she didn't have that much of an emotional connection to you," I suggested.

"That's why she coupled up with Connor..." he considered this for a moment and took a deep breath.

I nodded. "So, if you wanna try again, work on opening up. Tell her little facts about yourself that she could relate to or empathize with. Peach has younger siblings, do you?" 

"Yeah, I practically raised them," Gray said.

"Tell her that immediately, seriously. She would love to know stuff like that," I said.

Gray nodded and gave my knee a gentle tap. "Thanks, Maddie. Charlie's in the beach hut during his interview."

"Thank you," I breathed a sigh of relief and stood to my feet. "Don't fuck it up with Peach," I warned with a playful wag of my finger, then turned and walked away toward the bedroom door. As I peeled open the door, Charlie and I met face-to-face on either side of the threshold. His jaw was clenched. "You okay?" I asked.

His jaw relaxed and he let out a soft sigh. "Yeah, I'll be fine."

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked.

"I don't know if I should."

I watched him carefully, my eyes searching his eyes and lips for some sort of sign that he'd made his decision. "What are you going to do?"

"What do you mean?"