Chapter 29 - Panic! at the Villa

Peach clutched her phone close to her chest and continued walking toward us. Lucas and Giselle slowly emerged from the door, looking less than happy. Charlie took his hands off his knees and stood up straight, still trying to catch his breath.

"Charlie, you alright?" Gray asked.

Charlie nodded and slowly trudged behind Peach. "Yeah, I'm good."

"Why are you out of breath?" I asked as he took a seat on the loungers.

"I was talking to Peach, and then she said 'I've got to go tell everyone!' I didn't know she got a text." Charlie leaned back in the cushions, one hand resting on his torso.

"Oops, sorry," Peach grimaced and looked around. "Is everyone here?"

"Is this about who had the best date?" Polly asked. 

Peach shook her head with a mysterious smile. "Islanders-" she began to read the text, "-One new boy will be joining the villa. The guys must decide which girl to send on a date with him. #NotTheLadiesChoice #EvenPlayingField." The guys looked between each other, knowing they had to make a decision.

"Alright... girls, can we get some privacy?" Blake asked.

"With all due respect babe, no," Peyton smiled and returned to the loungers to sit beside him. "You can make your decision right in front of us."

"Okay... the obvious choice is Maddie, but let's go over our options," Gray said. It was true; I was the only one without a couple. 

Lucas walked closer to the group, well-aware of Giselle looming behind him. "If Polly wants to go, she can." He looked down at his feet and kicked a pebble across the pavement.

"I'm okay," Polly chimed in. Lucas looked up in surprise, and she offered him a sweet smile.

"Okay... Giselle?" Gray said.

Giselle shook her head. "That's okay, I'll stay here." She stepped forward, so she was in line with Lucas.

Gray nodded and looked over at his partner. "Peach?"

She laughed in response and took her seat beside him. "No. And I don't think Peyton would want to go, either. Maddie, do you wanna go on this date?"

"Um, sure," I said. The lack of enthusiasm in my voice was evident.

"Geez, don't jump up and down," Peach replied sarcastically. "You don't have to go if you don't want to."

I lowered my gaze to the floor and then shook my head. "Honestly, I kind of don't want to go."

"Why not?" Charlie asked.

I shrugged, my mind blank and without an answer. "There's a little voice in my head telling me not to go."

Peach's eyebrows creased as she examined me carefully. "So what we have here is five women who don't want to go on this date?"

"We've got to choose someone," Blake said. "And it's the guys' choice. I personally think it should be Maddie, she's not even with anyone right now."

"She said she doesn't want to go," Charlie reminded him.

"Peyton, why don't you go?" Peach suggested.

Peyton looked around and then sat up. "Alright, if really no one wants to go, I'll take one for the team."

"Babe!" Blake frowned from beside her. "But it's guys' choice."

Peyton stood up anyway. "It's just a date, and y'all aren't much help." Her phone emitted a quiet chime. "Peyton, please exit the villa for your date." She looked up at the group. "That was quick. Well, I'll see y'all in a bit," she smiled. She tucked her phone in her hand and began her saunter down the outdoor hallway to the front of the villa. Everyone settled down on the couches as we listened to the sound of Peyton's shoes on the path fade away.