Chapter 23 - A Brief Briefing

An hour after the sun had set, the girls regrouped at the firepit, melancholily watching the flickering flames emerge from the blue coals. Leo and Eli had stepped into a Jeep moments before to be driven out of our lives, and every Islander was feeling the impact of their absence.

"We need to talk about that recoupling," I announced. The rest of the group snapped out of their pointed gazes and daydreams.

"Yeah... Polly first," Giselle suggested.

Polly shifted thoughtfully beneath the eyes of the group. "I sort of panicked. I didn't want to pick Leo, because I knew you'd be miserable." She locked eyes with Giselle. "No matter how much I fancied him. And then... you didn't pick him anyway..."

"Why Charlie?" Peach asked.

"I panicked. It was a toss-up between Charlie and Lucas. I guess I just never got the opportunity to really get to know Charlie. And when you passed him for Gray, I thought this could be my chance," she explained.

"Well, I didn't pick Leo because I felt guilty. I figured you'd stepped aside because you didn't want to hurt me, but I didn't want you to make your decision because of me. I didn't want that on my conscience," Giselle said. "I knew Eli and me were through. I hate to say it, but I'd rather have walked than be in the finale with him."

"We're not that close to the finale... it's Day 9... we've still got a few weeks," Katrina chipped in.

"And that was too close for comfort," Giselle laughed nervously. "Besides, Lucas and I kind of had a connection already. I guess I'll give that a tryout."

Peyton shifted toward Peach and placed a hand on her leg. "Seeing you break down like that absolutely broke my heart." The rest of us chimed in words of agreement.

Peach offered a shaky smile. "Sorry. I just still hadn't made up my mind until that point, and as soon as I said his name, I couldn't take it. I feel like I made the right choice, but the thought of sending Charlie home was terrifying. I know he'll find love in here, I just know it."

"He will," I gave her a reassuring smile. "Did everyone speak their piece? Anyone wanna add anything before we catch up with the boys?"

"I think we're good?" Katrina suggested after no one spoke up. "This was one of the craziest recouplings so far. I don't think we've had three new couples in one night before."

"We've also never sent two people home. Before that, only Amelia was sent home, but that wasn't hard for most of us," Peach said, casting me a glance.

With our hearts emptied in front of each other and no more tea left to spill, we went to find our respective couples as they grouped by the pool.

I tapped Noah on the shoulder. "Wanna chat?"

"Happy to," he smiled, quickly standing to his feet. Rather than our signature bean bags, he instead led me to one of the brightly colored daybeds. He pulled me close as we stared up at the stars looming over the island. "How's everyone at the firepit?"

"I think we're good now. How are the boys doing without Eli?" I asked.

"Lucas is taking it the hardest. He really looked up to Eli; he was going to teach the scrawny lad how to bulk," Noah said. "Charlie's also a bit bummed that he no longer has someone to talk American football with."

"Maybe you can introduce him to European football?" I suggested.

Noah laughed happily. "You mean 'soccer!'" Noah said in his best American accent. "I'll see if he'd be into it. He's a good guy."

"Tonight was a lot... I hope we get a few days to just chill out, ya know?" I nodded in agreement.

Noah breathed out a laugh. "Doubtful."