Chapter 26 - Say Goodbye

Just after ten, the girls' dressing room came to life with hairdryers, steamy showers, and the rustling of clothes. I sat on my vanity stool in a cotton top and shorts with the matching powder blue robe hanging loosely across my shoulders. My hands worked smoothly to swipe micellar water across my face, collecting the remnants of makeup products clinging to my skin. I gently ran my fingers through my ponytail and pulled out face-framing strands to convey a faux-messy appearance.

"I'm going all out tonight," Peach announced from her vanity. Dressed in white silk, she let her black hair relax in loose waves. She lifted a pink bottle of perfume and sprayed the mist across her neck. "I'm going all out for Gray," she repeated.

"Already?" Katrina put down her hairbrush.

Peach jumped on the defensive. "Well, it's just I feel bad because we were so awkward last night, and we talked all day..." She looked to me for support. "Maddie, is it too soon? Am I being promiscuous?"

"Peach, if you feel comfortable enough with him to do whatever you plan to do, don't ever feel bad about it. It's your business, and you're business only. Don't let anyone make you feel bad," I said.

"To each his own. I prefer waiting, but good for you if you move a little quicker," Katrina added.

Peach nodded to herself, pressing her lips together as she entered brief thought. "Okay. It's not like I'm trying to get him to jump in my pants, just thought we could get a little closer, you know?" Her cheeks began to redden. "Plus, he's hot."

"No shame, Peach. I've gotten with a lot of guys a lot quicker," Peyton tried her hand at comforting our friend. "I went to a lot of frat parties in college. Halloween night is... well, it's crazy."

"Did you dress up as a playboy bunny, too?!" Polly grinned from across the room.

Peyton turned to look at her and laughed. "I did for a few years, yeah. And if you've got a solid friend group with a few girls and a guy, you can go as Hugh Heffner and his bunnies. That's great for group pics, but it's a pretty popular costume."

Polly nodded. "If you're a nurse, have you ever considered being a slutty nurse for Halloween?"

"Oh, yeah. That was my senior year costume!" Peyton laughed and took a seat beside me at her vanity. She began the process of removing her makeup with a towelette. "Good times. How about you, Maddie. You're in college; do you go to any parties?"

"Not so much anymore. I did when I was dating a frat boy, but that went to hell. Then I never went to Fratville again. Nothing good comes from it unless you want a quickie," I replied.

Polly giggled. "Fratville? That's kinda catchy." She glanced over to Giselle, who was spraying a mist into her curly locks and playing with the fluffy strands. "How are you, Giselle?"

Giselle looked up at the sound of her name. "Me? Oh, good, yeah. Sorry, I zoned out."

"No problem. Just thought you were kinda quiet," Polly shrugged.

"Ah, don't worry about me. I've just got a lot on my mind," she smiled politely and returned to her beauty care.

Tentative knuckles knocked against the dressing room door. The room paused and watched the door expectingly. Giselle called in the stranger with confidence. Noah cracked open the door, the rest of the boys standing behind him with ghostly expressions.

"I've got a text," Noah swallowed hard as we stood to gather around him. "Islanders, please gather by the firepit for a surprise dumping."

"Dressed like this?" Polly gestured down to her silk pajamas. "None of us even have makeup on... that's so messed up."