Chapter 60 - The Last Dumping

Emotions were running high as the girls prepared for the last dumping of the season. Tomorrow, the top three would enter the final, whoever that may be. The dressing room lights were dimmer than usual, encouraging the use of the built-in vanity lights for the first time. The rectangle of light reflected in my irises as I leaned into the mirror to blend my eyeshadow. Though the room had been chatty just minutes before, we had since fallen into a somber silence. To my right, I heard Peyton sniffle. Her eyes watered as she applied blush to her cheeks and across her nose. I silently stood to my feet and wrapped my arms around her in a comforting hug. She held my arms against hers like they were a lifevest, and her tears might drown her.

Polly's hand was shaking once again as she tried to apply her eyeliner. This time, she capped the tube and placed it down on her vanity, forgetting it altogether. "I'm gonna miss you guys so much."

"I'm gonna miss y'all too," Peyton replied. She squeezed her eyes shut to release the tear from her waterline. "God, I hate goodbyes. I'm a cry baby!" she laughed disingenuously. 

I released my arms from around her and sat back down in my seat. "Well, this isn't goodbye for anyone."

Peach nodded from the vanity across from mine. As I looked up at her, I realized that all of us continued to sit at our original vanities rather than sitting at vanities directly beside each other. I wondered whether it was subconscious, or out of respect for the Islanders that were voted out.

My thoughts were interrupted by a delighted cheer roaring from the boys' dressing room. Peach's eyes narrowed, and she stood up from her stool. "How dare they celebrate?" She charged at the door, only to be stopped by Polly, who reached out and grabbed her arm.

"It's not worth it," Polly sighed. "Maybe we should be taking notes from them, ya know? One last hurrah. That's what I would want if I end up going home ... I wouldn't want you guys to be sad for me."

Peach placed a delicate hand on her shoulder. "Your right. Finish your makeup, and we can have a fashion show after."

"Fashion show!" Polly applauded. Peach smiled down at her blonde friend before returning to her respective vanity and highlighting her cheeks. 

With my makeup nearly done, I grabbed the last product in my hand and investigated it. The tube of mascara had done me wonders during my time at Love Island. But the formula was bound to betray me. Instead, I picked up a scarcely used tube of waterproof mascara and began fanning it across my eyelashes. I capped the tube, misted my face with a sheer layer of setting spray, then approached my wardrobe.

I hummed to myself as I plucked through my outfits. In the scenario that this was my last night in the villa, I wanted it to be special. My hands reached for a dress inspired by my home state. The satin red fabric was patterned with orange hibiscus flowers. Built-in ties around the waist allowed me to accentuate my body shape as I slipped the dress on in the bathroom. Though the skirt was long, a long slit in the side allowed an exposed leg to poke through.

The other girls must've had a similar idea; they all looked stunning. Peach was messing with her hair in a lilac bodycon dress. The fabric was velvet that seemed to glow beneath even dim lighting. Peyton's love for rompers had outdone itself tonight. She pulled her hair back into a sleek ponytail while standing in a pastel yellow outfit that hugged every inch of her body in a flattering way. And Polly was dressed in her signature baby pink. The dress she chose had a plunging neckline that ended where a strap of fabric around her waist separating the almost sheer panels covering her chest from the fluffy tulle that covered her hips.

"We look so good," I complimented, walking further into the room. I reappeared at my wardrobe and began selecting a pair of shoes.

"We do," Peach confirmed with a soft smile and a simple nod. She took a deep breath and smoothed her hands over her dress. "I'm going to go find Gray. Just in case ..." She cut herself off, but we knew where her sentence was leading. The uncertainty of what was going to happen in less than twenty minutes was enough to drive an Islander insane with the possibilities. For some, they must've been haunted by the question: have I found love, or has my partner been playing a part to win the money?