Chapter 18 - Sea Turtle Sanctuary

The captain must've taken us to the opposite side of the island; we didn't get there until the evening. As the boat docked, the engine shuddered and stopped, allowing us to hear the wet splash of lulling waves as they slapped against the pier. Our large group carefully exited the boat and approached two tables a few meters from the docks, sitting slightly slanted along the raised sand. Charlie, Peach, Noah, Amelia, Eli, Giselle, and I sat down at a table for seven, and the remaining six islanders sat at the table only a foot away from ours. We took our seats and Peach grabbed the chair to my left, and Noah sat across from me. Only a few minutes later, a trail of waiters and trays arrived. Some dishes looked familiar, like Mahi Mahi, but others were a topic of discussion.

"What's this?" Giselle asked as a plate was sat down in front of her.

"Lovo," the woman said. "Chicken wrapped in banana leaves left to cook underground for hours. It's very tender and very flavorful." She wasn't wrong at all. My first bite sent seasoned juice dripping down my chin. Katrina and Blake, who were vegan and vegetarian, were served what looked like a soup of coconut milk and taro leaves, along with cassava chips.

"This is so good. I'm glad that we actually get to eat some authentic food. As much as I love spaghetti and tacos, I was getting a little sick of it," Peach said. She began slicing into her chicken.

Noah nodded. "This is really good. Especially compared to food in the U.K.."

"Is European food not as good?" I asked.

"Europe's food is great! But England has some catching up to do. You don't notice it until you visit Italy or America. You guys season everything! When I go back to London, all the food's just going to taste bland," Noah said, taking a spoonful of rourou.

"Just carry a spice shaker in your pocket," I joked.

"How are you guys liking the trip so far?" Eli asked the group.

Charlie swallowed a bite of food. "It's good. The trip back's going to be long as hell, though. I'm hoping we're going to be here for more than just dinner. That trip took hours," he said. "I was bored."

Peach clapped a hand over his mouth. "Don't give the producers any ideas! If you're bored they'll make us do a challenge, like 'jump into the pool of sharks for national entertainment!'"

"Well, what kind of sharks?" I asked.

Peach glared at me. "Maddie, don't you make this a science-"

"Because nurse sharks really only bite when people take advantage of their shy personalities. But if they were bull sharks, then you should be worried," I finished.

Peach shook her head with a tiny smile tucked into her lips. "You are such a fucking nerd."

"I think it's hot," Noah smirked from across the table.

"You're still coupled up with me," Amelia interjected. Noah ignored her.

Once our plates were empty and cleared away, we were led by the captain of our boat down the beach. Peach and I walked together with Charlie and Noah by our sides. At one point, Noah's hand brushed against mine, and he held it instinctively, rubbing the back of my palm with his thumb.

Our captain-turned-guide walked backward as he faced our group, informing us of Fijian culture and wildlife. After a few short minutes of walking on the beach, we reached our destination.

"A sea turtle sanctuary!" I said as we walked up the beach toward the front doors of the large building. Inside the vast building, several large tanks lined the walls. The clear acrylic allowed us to see the various species of turtles, all relatively young, swimming around the tank.