Chapter 5

In the end, Charlotte was amenable after Dominic promised he'd stay up until I got home. Brooks said he would give me a ride, and Damon promised to have his phone on and be ready to "beat someone up" if I needed it.

"Thank you for the ride." I squeaked out to Brooklyn from the back seat. Sometimes I felt so much less mature than Brooks and sitting in the back seat of the car while he dropped me off was only enhancing this.

"It's no problem. Val and I were going out anyway." He said, smiling at me in the rear-view mirror and then reaching a hand over the gearshift to place on his girlfriend's thigh. He drove in a very relaxed manner; one hand loosely draped over the steering wheel going a speed that couldn't kill a turtle.

"What for?"

"Our anniversary," Valerie said, turning to Brooklyn with stars in her eyes. I couldn't tell if I was disgusted seeing them in love or happy for them. I chose the second, to make the car ride less awkward.

"Aww," I said. They both laughed, and then we pulled up to the party house. This house seemed a lot tamer than the last one we'd visited, which was a relief. I wasn't entirely sure Brooks would let me out of the car if it looked insane. I unclipped my seatbelt and yanked on the door, only to find it locked. I pulled a second time, but it didn't give, so I looked at Brooks and made a pouting expression.

"Do you remember what Mom told you?" Brooks asked, pulling the car into park and turning around to face me.

"Yessss." I reluctantly agreed.

"What did she say?" he asked in a warning voice, wanting me to confirm it. I almost blushed because it made me feel like a little kid, but I knew Valerie wasn't judging so I just answered quickly.

"Stay away from boys, don't go into a bedroom with anyone alone, never drink from an open bottle or cup that someone could've tampered with, and if you want to go home text the family group chat and someone will come immediately." I recited to him dutifully, looking eagerly at the house from the corner of my eye.

"Anything else?"

"No alcohol." I grumbled, looking down. I was a little too excited to attend a party again, and I think Dominic had noticed and said something to Charlotte. She reminded me of the dangers of drug-taking and what it would look like for my record if I was caught underage drinking. I agreed that that would be bad, but cleverly avoiding saying I wouldn't drink. I couldn't help myself! I had to see if the feeling was a fluke, or if I could get it to come back.

"Good girl." Brooklyn said with a smile. He reached a hand into the backseat and tousled my hair playfully.

"Brooks! Can I go now?" I begged.

The sound of the door unlocking was all I heard before I was out the door and running up to the house. I slowed my pace when I was halfway there, realizing that it might not be the coolest way to head into a party.

I pressed the doorbell twice and straightened out my black crushed velvet dress self-consciously. Caleb told me it looked too fancy, so I had thrown a light gray jacket over it and worn vans to tone it down. I couldn't undo the curls in my hair, but I hoped that people would just assume I was doing them for some other occasion. I could have other events to attend tonight!

I was broken from my train of thought as the door swung open quickly and I saw a familiar face.

I jumped forward and wrapped my arms around Magnus in surprise.

"Mav!" I said as he spun me in a circle and set me back down.

"Maya!" he replied jovially. "I wasn't sure you'd make it!"