Chapter 9

The weekend and next week passed smoothly and I was ready for the test when it came. It helped that the teacher pushed back the date a little and I actually had time to study.

"How did you do?" JJ called out as she sprinted up to me and grabbed my wrist. She shook my arm and I pulled it away, cracking up. I tried to be honest and not self-defeating, like Charlotte said I sometimes was.

"I think I did... alright? The stuff I studied was the actual stuff on the test, so that's good!" I decided.

"I bet you did fabulously!" JJ consoled as she linked her arm through mine.

"How did you do?" I asked her nervously. I know people don't like talking about tests generally, but I hoped she would make an exception for me.

"I think I got a B." she said, fairly confidently. She nodded her head and then er forehead wrinkled in thought and she said, "Maybe a C..."

I smiled and said, "No point in worrying about it now!"

She shook her head and beamed at me. "You're right! It's almost Thanksgiving break!"

I cheered as we reached our lunch table and Cassie said "Well, well, well, there you are!"

JJ looked at her with clear confusion in her eyes.

"Don't I always come here for lunch?" she asked.

"Yes," Cassie admitted, "but I forgot to ask why we didn't see you at the party! Where were you?" Her voice took on a complaining tone and Lucy and I smiled at each other. While Cassie pretended to be the boss of everything and everyone, she was really the mom of the group and worried about us all the time.

"I came to the party," JJ said. "But I didn't stay long. I didn't see you guys at all!" Her eyes were wide and honest, and she shrugged her shoulders.

"Did you have fun at least?" I interrupted, taking the pressure off of her.

"Yes! So much!" she squealed.

"You guys talking about the party?" Magnus asked as he walked over with none other than Asher. Instead of standing like last time, Mav sat beside me on the bench. Lucy and I squeezed in to make room. One of his legs was hanging off still, but he looked perfectly comfortable.

"We actually were," I said with a chuckle. "How was the clean-up?"

"Not bad!" Mav remarked. "Asher here helped." He gave a nod to the guy trying to fit into the miniature bench opening beside JJ and Cassie. JJ pulled in as tight as humanly possible, but Cassie stayed right where she was and smiled at his efforts. He spent a minute scooting in very uncomfortably and then looked up at us with a smile.

"I had to clean spilled drinks and change all the bed sheets that might've been... sat on." Asher said, clearing his throat a little. Lucy and I made disgusted faces at each other as we realized what he really meant.

Magnus then began talking to Lucy by leaning back and angling his body around me, so I leaned forward to get closer to Asher.

"Thank you for dancing with me." I said, cheeks tinged pink as I remembered the way his hands fit with mine so perfectly. He was warmer than I thought he'd be. He felt human, and his hands had callouses on them, maybe from working out or playing an instrument. Another imperfection that made him more beautiful in my eyes. Can you call a friend beautiful? I'd have to ask Dominic or Charlotte later.

"Any time." He said, stressing the word 'any' like it was of the utmost importance.

The boys ended up sitting with us for the majority of our lunch period, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they fit right in with us. It was as if we'd had a piece missing from our puzzle all this time but simply hadn't noticed it.