Chapter 27

After we gave the other two a rundown of everything that happened, things that I wanted to say surfaced from the back of my mind.

I looked around at my family and gave each one of them my attention and my love, mentally. Just in case this meant goodbye.

Dom was seated on the couch to my left, arm stretched over the back of the couch above me as if he couldn't stand to be further away. His face looked calm, but I knew he was on high alert, ready to protect me if necessary. I wish I knew how to let him know I was fine. I didn't think explaining that there was no threat in sight would do it.

Caleb was beside him, elbows pressed onto his knees as he leaned forward and spoke to us. He was cracking jokes to make sure nobody was too troubled or upset.

Brooks was sprawled comfortably on the floor in front of him, looking long and lean. He appeared relaxed, but every so often his eyes would glance at me with an incomprehensible sadness. I felt his vulnerability and love from here.

Damon was to his right, directly in front of me. He was sitting up with his arms wrapped around his knees in a surprisingly childlike position. His long black hair flopped in front of his eyes, and his eyes kept looking away as we talked as if he was deep in thought. I tried to let him be.

Lastly, Charlotte was on my right. She had a hand placed on her left knee that seemed to be itching to cover my hand with hers. She looked as if she genuinely lost a child tonight and I knew now that she was just as invested in our relationship as I was. I was sad it took this to happen for me to notice, but glad that we had time together now. I was overjoyed that she let me stay without pressing for details or becoming emotional. She was strong enough that I didn't have to be, and I loved that.

Caleb made a joke that I didn't hear, and Brooklyn laughed along with Charlotte. Damon stayed staring into the distance and Dominic didn't even crack a smile. After a brief second of silence, I interjected.

"C-can I tell you guys something?" I asked, looking into each of their eyes carefully. Caleb cocked his head to the side and Damon sat up, focused on me.

"Of course, Maya," Damon replied immediately. The others nodded and echoed in agreement.

"What I mean is... Can I tell you guys everything?" I asked, as my heart picked up speed. I felt sick to my stomach and thought that maybe onion rings weren't the best call before having this conversation.

"Tell us everything that you feel comfortable sharing." Charlotte elaborated, shifting her warm hand to place on top of mine.

I moved my back and stretched my arms as if I was about to run a marathon, and then scooted infinitesimally closer to Dominic.

"I wanted to tell you guys what my life was like before I got here. If you're all okay with hearing it." I announced shyly.

"I want to hear it," Caleb assured me immediately.

"Anyone... not want to hear it?" I asked anxiously. Sometimes after experiencing something bad, not being able to share can feel devastating. The fact that someone can't even listen to what you physically experienced is a grotesque feeling. It feels like you've done something bad, or wrong, even if they don't mean it like that.

Everyone shook their heads and looked up at me eagerly.

"Okay then," I began with faux confidence. "Well, I don't really know where to start." I wracked my brain for a good beginning to the story. Should I start with what they know? Should I start from the beginning? I bit my lip and let out a worried breath unintentionally.

Charlotte put pressure on my hand gently and released, saying "Why don't you start from the beginning?"

I nodded my head and swallowed, my stomach clenching in fear. I wasn't sure if I was about to lose all feeling or become overwhelmed by it. But I wanted them to know. I didn't want to have to hide anymore. I started with a disclaimer.

"You don't have to believe me, and you don't have to listen if you don't think you can handle it. I would understand that." I said truthfully. Then I sighed, sat up straight, and began sharing my story.