Chapter 26

He stopped the car outside of the gate to the house and asked for the code, but I waved him off.

"I'll just walk up from here. More time to plan what I'm going to say." I muttered, both angry and nervous.

"Okay. Be safe, Maya." He said as if he wished he could do more.

"I will. Thank you, Asher." I smiled.

With a wave of his hand, he took off down the road and I began the trek up to the house.

I went on the walkway to the house and saw that the gate was open, which I had never seen before. I looked further and realized the front door was wide open as well, light spilling out from the house onto the front lawn. That was so dangerous! Didn't they realize anyone could come running in?

Oh, right.

I sprinted up towards the house and then hesitated outside the door. I didn't know what I was supposed to say, or if I should have a cover story for any of the day.

I heard what sounded like crying and I stepped inside cautiously but quickly. If my family was crying over me, it was my responsibility to make it right again, no matter what it would cost me.

I stepped into the living room gingerly and saw Dominic and Caleb placing their hands on a distressed Charlotte. She looked up from her lap with a tear-streaked face and then gasped before running and wrapping her arms around me. I inhaled her comforting scent deeply and hugged back, furious with myself for not coming back sooner. She choked on tears and tried to stop crying. My heart hurt because I knew that I did this to her.

"Charlotte," I whispered into her shoulder. "I'm so sorry."

She shook her head and leaned so her cheek rested on my head and her hair tickled my nose. I burrowed my face further until I was against her chest and could hear her heartbeat. There was a lump in my throat that wasn't going away. It seemed to grow as she regained control of herself.

"You have no reason to be sorry! I'm sorry!" she said irrationally, squeezing me tighter as if she was trying to send a message to the world that I was taken. She finally loosened her grip and I pulled back a little, to look at the boys.

"Sorry," I mumbled in the direction of Caleb. I purposefully didn't make eye contact with Dominic, and by the loud exhalation I heard from his direction, he noticed.

"It's okay My, we're just glad you're home!" Caleb said before he too ran over to me. I leaned into his hug and smiled.

"Where are Damon and Brooks? Asleep?" I asked, checking the clock on the wall. We passed midnight hours ago and we had all waken up early.

"No," Charlotte sniffled, "They went out to look for you. We stayed here in case you came back."

I bit my lip, feeling horrible about myself. Dominic must have noticed my pained expression because he said "I'll text 'em. They'll be back any minute." He typed on his phone briefly and then placed it back in his pocket and crossed his arms.

"Can I ask you something?" Charlotte mumbled, forehead crinkling as she grimaced sadly. I nodded, on guard.

"Why did you run away?" Her voice was thick with pain.

I turned to Dominic, who shrugged, face still tight in a mask. He hadn't told them? Why not?

"Oh, umm, well," I struggled to reply, licking my lips in my nervousness.

"You don't have to tell me of course, but I never want you to leave again, and if I can prevent it in any way..." Charlotte rambled. It appeared she was nervous too.

"Umm," I choked on the word, and I knew I couldn't tell her. She'd take his side over mine. She'd kick me out. I should just lie and say I got scared. I mentally rehearsed what I would say. It was nothing! Just me. Nothing happened really! It sounded fraudulent, even in my head.

I opened my mouth to speak and Dominic interrupted.

"Don't lie to them, Maya. The bastard doesn't deserve it." He grunted, looking straight into my eyes.

"I can't say it," I whispered to him, eyes pleading.

He faced the others and calmly stated "Liam touched her. Inappropriately." His face, though controlled, was clearly concealing his fury. He squeezed his crossed arms just a bit tighter and his knuckles turned white.

Caleb and Charlotte's jaws dropped, and they turned to me, to confirm what Dominic said. I ducked my head to look at the floor but nodded so they'd know he spoke the truth.

"He didn't mean to." I lied on instinct. It came from my mouth naturally. Years of experience, I supposed.

"Yes, he did," Dominic growled. "She took him up to her room to show him something and he did that and then he left her and came down and lied by pretending to be a fucking human like the rest of us."

I looked at him in utter shock. The others were just as astounded.

Caleb fell out of his stupor first. He began nodding slowly and turned to Dominic, before saying, "So that's why you beat up Liam."

Dominic gave a little wink to his brother before noticing that my jaw had dropped, too.

"Told you I would take care of it, My." he remarked. His face was still tight, but there was a hint of a smile in his eyes that told me he enjoyed every second of it.

I ran to Dominic and shoved my hands against his chest, hard. Whether due to surprise or because he was simply playing along, he took a step back and raised an eyebrow at me.

"You idiot!" I shouted insolently. But in perfect contradiction to my words, I wrapped my arms around his big body and held on to my protector just like I had to the streetlight earlier. He returned the hug quickly and bent down slightly to whisper into my ear.

"He will never hurt you again." He mumbled, and I wasn't sure whether he was reassuring me or himself.

Charlotte walked over and examined me closely. I returned her gaze and let her see the truth of his words in my eyes. She let out a little breath and I realized she wasn't examining me at all. She was trying to find the words to say to me. I gave her a little smile in encouragement, which made her lower lip tremble a little. She put one hand on my shoulder and began speaking.

"I told you that you were safe here and I'm sorry that my promise was broken, Maya. I will promise you this; Liam won't step foot in this house again!" Charlotte announced as Damon and Brooklyn entered the open door.

"What did we miss?" Damon complained, looking at the tear-stained face of Charlotte, the anger exuding from Caleb, and Dominic who had one arm tightly wrapped around me as if I was his shield. I knew that it was so he could throw me over his shoulder and run if anything happened.

"Maya!" Brooks and Damon shouted in unison, before running over to give me a hug.

Me, my mind whispered. They chose me.