Chapter 29

The next morning, I woke up with a flurry of emotions swirling inside me. I was happy to have told my family the truth about my childhood I was overjoyed that I saw Asher and he wanted to see me again. I was grateful that I wouldn't be seeing Liam again, ever.

I decided to forgive Dominic for his harsh words due to his endless kindness last night. Also, because I was afraid to confront him about it. I just wanted to move on and start fresh.

I took a couple of deep breaths in and out and admired my room. Liam had been in here and that was a scary thought, but I could just as easily picture Damon leaning against the doorframe or Caleb on the bed beside me. My angels sent to fight my demons.

I got up and took off down the hallway, padding in my socks as softly as I could. I knew Brooks would be up running, but the others were probably dead asleep, except for one.

When I got to her office, I paused before gently knocking on the door.

"Come in, Maya." She called out immediately. I wonder if she knew it was me because of how many times I came to her, or how softly I knocked. Maybe she just knew after everything that happened, I'd need someone to talk to.

I entered the room swiftly, closing the thick door behind me. It clicked into place almost silently with my guidance.

Charlotte was typing on her computer rapidly but closed the lid the minute that we caught each other's eyes.

"What can I do for you?" she asked warmly, cocking her head to one side. The window behind her was open for once, and sunlight streamed in like it wasn't nearly winter at all.

"I'm not entirely sure," I replied honestly, mumbling and then cursing myself. My uncle hated when I mumbled. I had to remind myself that she wasn't like him. I looked up at her and she smiled at me, pushing away from her desk to give me her full attention. Yeah, she was the opposite of him.

I ran to her abruptly, before knowing what I was doing. And then my arms were wrapped around her and tears were falling, and I was humiliated with myself, but I couldn't help it. She swiveled her chair so I could sit on her lap and I was grateful that she didn't groan as I gave her the fullness of my weight.

She clutched me tightly and ran her hand through my hair, whispering kind words that didn't need to mean anything at all.

"Thank you for choosing me," I cried. "I'm just so happy."

A mixture of snot and tears dripped down my face and onto the shoulder of my mother. Not from birth, not chosen by me, but decided by destiny.

"Do you promise you'll love me?" I asked, pulling back to check that she was being honest. I glared at her with my most strict expression and she raised her right hand in the air as she promised.

"Yes, Maya." She said, tears plastered on her cheeks. "I will always love you."

After the embarrassing display of affection, I wasn't sure what to do. Luckily, there was a knock on the door. I detached my body from Charlotte and shyly grabbed my arm as the person came in.

Dominic looked from her to me and quirked an eyebrow up. His hand loosened its grip on the door, and he dropped it to his side awkwardly.

"I'm sorry, I can come back later..." he said, looking younger than I'd ever seen him. There was something vulnerable in his expression that I couldn't quite place.

"No, I was just leaving! You can talk to Charlotte." I said with a smile, slipping out of the room. I waved goodbye to her as I passed and she smiled at me, understanding everything that I meant with my bout of emotion. Dominic grabbed my arm as I passed and then hesitated, avoiding my eyes.

"I was actually hoping to talk to you."

I looked up at him in surprise and then nodded, letting him lead me to the backyard. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N I don't think you guys will be mad at Dominic for long... we'll see. ;)