Chapter 45

I woke up on December 23rd to a Christmas miracle. The Anders' house,which I had once determined to be absolute perfection, had magically gotten prettier overnight.

I walked downstairs in utter astonishment at the Christmas decorations which now covered every square inch of the house. There were green garlands dotted with red flowers that wrapped around the stair banister beside twinkling lights and shining ornaments.

Signs and knick-knacks covered in Santas and snowmen were strewn in an effortless manner and paper snowflakes hung from the ceiling like they were falling fromthe sky. Popcorn strings wrapped loose objects and the dining room table had a red and green plaid tablecloth covering it like a present.

I ran to the kitchen in amazement to see my four brothers and Charlotte eating scrambled eggs and bacon on red and green plates.

"Did you guys see all that?" I asked breathlessly, pointing in the direction of the rest of the house. The kitchen was littered with decorations too, that I admired as my family laughed.

"See it? We did it!" Damon said with noticeable pride.

"All of it?" I gasped, turning over my shoulder to marvel at it once more.

"Well, the elves helped a little," Dominic said offhandedly. I squinted my eyes at him to see if he making fun of me but his expression remained neutral.

"So, does that mean we're still going to have presents and stuff? For Christmas I mean?" I asked hopefully but trying to look as aloof as Dominic had.

"Of course!" Caleb said through a mouth full of food. He stood up and pulled me over to sit beside him. "We're going last-minute Christmas shopping today. Sounds like you definitely need to come."

I nodded, picking at my nails in anticipation. "Definitely."

"You don't need to buy anything for me," Charlotte said with a little shake of her head, taking her plate to the sink to rinse. "Or anyone for that matter."

"Nah, you need to buy me a present," Brooks said seriously. The boys all chorused in agreement, and I groaned. How had I not even realized I needed to get them all something for Christmas? The boys had put lights up outside our house a month ago, but I guess I just forgot with finals happening.

"Leaving in 10," Damon announced to everyone, grabbing his keys and stuffing them into his back pocket. He grabbed a plate from the counter and set a full breakfast in front of me. "Eat quick."