Already Home

Already Home:

His body lay beaten and broken on the bed as he laid there. His breathing was steady, but that was all that kept some people's hopes up. Hiccup's body was bruised all over and he had cuts and burns from the building he ran into that was on fire. He attempted to put it out with the fire prevention system, but the tail had caught on fire somehow and burnt it too badly and he couldn't escape. The crowd witnessed the boy and the Night Fury crash down into the building and then after what seemed like agonizing seconds, the building collapsed right on top of them, still in blazes. It was a miracle to see that the boy hadn't died in the hands of the fire right there. "Must have been the Night Fury." A lot of people suspected to have saved him not once, not twice, but now three times for a devastating incident.

Now, the boy lay in the bed where he had been resting for a few days now. He hadn't moved one bit, the only sign of life was the steady breathing pattern. Toothless, every now and then would sit up and stare at the boy, waiting to see his owners' body move but nothing. Toothless rested his head on the bed side and stared at Hiccup, with his green-yellow catlike eyes. He sensed someone approached and looked up towards the door, but a familiar presence eased him.

Astrid Hofferson slowly opened the door and walked inside, looking at Toothless then back at Hiccup. Her face, which was once filled with a bit of hope, now seemed to sulk back as she took note of Hiccup, unmoving. "Hey." She said soft and quietly, towards Hiccup. She walked over next to Toothless and began scratching and petting him. "He hasn't moved yet, huh?" She said as she looked at Toothless with a long face. Feeling the troubled and saddened vibe Astrid was giving off, Toothless put his head and rested it under Astrid's chin as he used to do with Hiccup. Toothless gurgled something and Astrid sighed. He then pulled his head back and moved towards the corner of the room where his bed was and lit the stone he laid on, on fire and rested in the embers.

Astrid knelt down next to Hiccup's bedside. She saw the glass of water on his nightstand, still the same amount of fluid that was left there the day before. She grabbed Hiccup's hand in hers and kissed the back of it. She then rested the side of her head on his bed and stared up at him, hoping to see him move; a twitch a flinch, anything. But she got nothing. "You know Hiccup, people are starting to doubt you'll ever wake up from this. But me? No. I know you will." She lifted her heard up off the bed and began playing with Hiccup's fingers with both of her hands. "It was quite a blow you took into that building, but you were only trying to protect people because that's what a chief does." She looked back up at Hiccup, with a sense of hope he'd have a side goofy side smile, but still, nothing. "And you know," she said, "You've been through worst and you came out of it like nothing ever happened. You're going to wake up, I know it. I don't care if anyone else is doubting you, because I'm not. Just .. Just come back when you're ready .. alright?" She said, her voice wavering.

She felt the sting of tears that she tried holding back so much. She hated this. She missed his stupid remarks and comebacks that'd he tell her and the laughs they shared. Thinking about what it used to be hurt and a pang of doubt started to overcome her along with fear. The instantly, she felt ashamed in herself. How could she think that? Of course Hiccup was going to be alright. He always is. No matter how hard she tried, the salty tears came flowing like a river. The dropped onto the bed sheet and some fell onto her hand and Hiccup's hands that were intertwined. She wiped her eyes a few times and the tears finally stopped coming.

She sniffled and rested her cheek back against the side of the bed again and stared back up at Hiccup. For a splint second, she could've sworn he moved. "Hiccup?!" She gasped, not too loudly. But no response. It was the same old steady breathing pattern he had kept for days on end. She sighed, full of despair and sadness.

She leaned her forehead and pressed it against the couples' hands and closed her eyes. She just wanted to make sure he was close by. After a minute or so, she opened her eyes again. She felt the heat of the sun on the back of her head, although it was still pretty cold. After a little while longer she finally let go of his hand and turned around so she began facing the door where she had came from. Her back leaned against his bed side.