Gifts

Gifts:

"Alright, open your eyes now," Hiccup Haddock said, reaching underneath his girlfriend's armor to give her shoulders an affectionate squeeze.

Obeying his instructions, Astrid Hofferson gasped at what she saw. In front of her, there lay a fur hood, three large, thick fur blankets, two fur arm warmers, and a pair of tall, fur boots "This is...this is all for me?" She spun around to face Hiccup.

"All for you," he confirmed with a nod. Astrid was always saying that she was chilly, so he had decided to make her a few items that would help solve that problem. After all, winter was around the corner, and the last thing he wanted was for her to freeze to death during the frigid nights or get frostbite whilst out riding dragons in the snow.

"It's...it's too much." She shook her head. "It's all beautiful, but it's just...it's just too much."

"Nonsense, darling." He cupped her face with one of his calloused palms and gently ran his thumb over her chin.

"But look at everything." Sighing, she gestured to the pile of her new things. "This must have cost a fortune."

Hiccup shrugged. "Not really. I just bought the fur in a big bundle. The sewing was all done by me for free. I worked on it the same week I was working on my flight suit." He had just made a leather flight suit for himself that would enable him to glide in the air alongside Toothless, his Night Fury.

"You didn't have to..."

"But I did. I can't have you spending the winter all cold and uncomfortable."

She bit her lip.

"Here, I'll help you try the stuff on." Hiccup walked over and picked up the hood, then returned to Astrid and fastened it about her shoulders. "See? It's as warm as those cuddles from me that you like so much, right?"

Smiling, she said, "It's pretty close."

"And it looks cute with your new haircut." Since she had just turned nineteen, Astrid had been determined to look a bit more mature. Therefore, she had chopped off half her bangs and cut the ends of her waist-length locks, leaving them to lie just below her breasts. The shorter length had caused her to want to try a different style, so she had switched from a simple braid at the back of her head to a more intricate one that draped over her left shoulder.

"Oh, stop." Astrid waved a dismissive hand at him.

"Oh, stop," he mocked, copying her gesture. When she gave him a frown, he leaned in to connect his forehead with hers. As a result, their noses brushed together, both of them chapped from all the time the pair spent outdoors.

"Back off." She gently elbowed him in the stomach.

"Why?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because I want to try on my arm warmers and shoes."

Grinning his crooked grin, Hiccup stepped away from her, watching contentedly as she began to push the furry bands onto her slender arms. "How are they?"

"Cozy." Astrid then sat on the ground and tugged off her old, worn down boots. Tossing them aside, she picked up the new pair and started to slide a foot into one of them.

"This will be the real test," he stated, walking over to settle in beside her. "I put extra padding in those, so hopefully it'll be enough to keep your toes warm." He knew that her feet became frozen the easiest, as she had a habit of asking him to rub warmth into them after long flights in chilly weather. It wasn't that he minded doing so; in fact, it was surprisingly relaxing for him as well as her. It was just that it pained him to see all the frostbite scars that were present on the sides of her arches and above most of her toenails. She'd never said anything about the marks aloud, but he knew they secretly caused her to feel self-conscious, as she was reluctant to go barefoot around anyone except him. He guessed it was because she felt that allowing the cold to bother her to the point of scarring was showing weakness.

Once she had finished lacing both shoes, a smile appeared across her face. "I think it'll work."

"So, does this mean you're gonna keep all these things without any more arguing?"

Astrid picked up one of the blankets and held it against her cheek.

"Hmm?" he prompted.

"Are you sure you don't want even just one blanket for yourself?" She held up a finger.

"Positive. You need one for bed, one to keep in your saddle bag, and one for if you want to curl up on the couch. I already have more than I need at home." Hiccup wrapped his arms around her.

"Well, will you at least let me share with you when you come visit?"

"Naps would be more comfortable with super warm covers, don't you think?" On many occasions, Hiccup and Astrid would, after an exhausting morning, go to Astrid's house and snuggle up together on her couch for a nap.

"'Kay, then."

"Is that a yes?"

"I guess it'll have to be." She laced her fingers with his.

Pecking her cheek, he pulled her onto his lap.

"Hiccup?" Her eyes met his.

"Yes, darling?"

She fastened her arms about his neck and reached up to kiss his lips. "Thanks. For...everything."