Emotions

Emotions:

Hiccup groaned as he opened his eyes. It was still dark, but yet some sound had awoken him. Looking across the room, he could just make out the shape of Toothless, who appeared to be fast asleep. Whatever, he shrugged. I guess it was nothing to worry about. He pulled his covers up and began to settle back to bed.

Knock, knock.

He sighed. The noise was obviously someone at the door, but who could be there at this hour of the night? He debated with himself about whether or not he should answer when he heard the visitor speak.

"Hiccup, it's me. Open up."

Astrid. Of course. Slipping off the couch, he put on his metal leg and walked over to let her in. She appeared to be just as exhausted as he was, and definitely was not properly dressed. Her hair was undone, her feet were bare, and she was wearing a faded blue nightgown that grazed her knees. A blanket was tucked underneath her arm. This was unusual. Typically, if she disturbed his sleep at such a late - or rather early - hour, she was in full armor and had her dragon by her side, as her midnight visits typically signaled the discovery of danger. Nevertheless, his mind still switched over to the protective mode he often used around her. "Is everything okay? What are you doing here?"

She nodded. "Everything's fine. It's just that...well, I was having a lot of trouble sleeping, so I was uh...wondering if I could spend the rest of the night at your place." A bit of pink tinted her cheeks.

"Um...okay..." Hiccup was confused. It was not like Astrid to act in this timid manner. "But Heather's up in my room, so you're gonna have to be downstairs with me if you want to sleep here." A couple weeks ago, Snotlout had discovered a shipwrecked girl by the sea. After Hiccup had convinced the newcomer that no one was out to harm her, she'd revealed that her name was Heather and that she had gotten into trouble on a family journey. Both her parents had died during the incident, leaving her scared, alone, and confused. Being the sympathetic person Hiccup was, he had offered her a place to stay in his house, and even had given her his bedroom for the time being.

Astrid rolled her eyes. She had not taken as kindly to Heather as Hiccup and the rest of his friends had, and made no move to hide that fact. "I don't mind. Just let me stay, please."

"Okay, then. Make yourself at home." With a shrug, he walked back to the couch, aware that she was following close behind him. "What?" he asked, turning to face her again. "Do you want to sleep here? If that's the case, it's fine with me. I'll just take the floor."

"I do. But it's alright. There'll be room for the both of us if we try."

"Erm..." He blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. Why was she doing this? He knew she was more touchy around him than anyone else, as he was the only one she'd willingly hug, but he would've never guessed that she would suddenly turn this clingy. It was definitely out of character for her. "Uh..."

"Come on. Get in and scoot over."

His heart racing, Hiccup removed his metal leg and slid onto the cushions. He froze as Astrid climbed beside him and rolled out her blanket.

"Why..."

"Shut up." Kicking his shin, she snuggled farther beneath the covers.

He laid a hand on her shoulder. "I know something's wrong, Astrid. You sure you don't wanna talk about it?"

"I'm fine. I just wanted some company." She turned around and nuzzled into his chest.

"Uh..."

"Just let it go."

"Well, whatever it is that's bothering you, I'm sure everything will be okay soon." He hesitantly wrapped his arms around her waist and instantly felt her body relax beneath his touch.