10.

S A H A R A

We moved through the horde of people with Linda by my side. We made it to the backroom of the stage. There stood about seven other girls, they stood in small groups talking amongst themselves. There is something unnerving about seeing beautiful people standing next to each other. It has a way to make you feel inadequate.

It always made me tilt my head in perplexity when I realised the lack of diversity and women in cooperate America. Most women here were the dates of the men, to make it worse there was only one minority-the only person of colour; me.

Feminism, a political ideology. It refers to social movements, political movements and ideologies that aim to define and establish political, economic, personal and social equality of the sexes. A feminist. I am not the most versed on the topic yet standing on this stage with these 10 women bothered me.

It had been about five minutes since I had arrived. The planner was in panic over the missing people for the auction. She then decided to go ask for volunteers from some of the party goers. I had made the mistake of asking her to get males instead to spice it up.

The women had looked at me like I had said the most appalling thing in my life. The other women looked her expecting her to blow up, it was interesting to see her fume but have to realise that she couldn’t talk to me anyhow.

“Miss West you don’t have to worry about it, I will handle it.” She spat out giving me a tight lipped smile. She didn’t wait for my reply and moved to the party.

As she walked I released my clenched teeth and tried to calm myself down. I turned putting a smile on my face. Sure enough the girls were looking at me. I stared at them sizing them up, a few seconds later they were back in their little groups. I’ve been told I have a smouldering look.

That lead us to this moment. The rueshing on my dress seemed heavy with all the eyes looking at me. The planner had found girls last minute that met her requirements, one of them being the infamous Jennifer.

The only good thing that came from that is that Linda was added into the mix, she made the vanilla on the stage a bit more flavourful. I was the third girl to go up. Jennifer being the last-that was supposedly her only condition to do the auction.

The prissy planner introduced herself and the cause. The first two girls were awkward not knowing what to say. The date with them was auctioned at around 125-135 thousand. The third girl was far more flirtatious, her pin straight raven hair made me want to go on a date with her. My head of Finance was intent of going on the date with her paying a whopping 300 000. He met her down the stairs of the stage. Unlike the rest of the audience I didn’t miss the look familiarity between them. They must be dating.

“Up next is your host tonight Miss West.” She introduced her voice filled with fondness. Fake kiss up.

I fixed my slight train showcasing my slit and diamond crusted shoes. A smile grows on my face as I walk to the podium. “I won’t spend too much time introducing myself as most of us know each other or will get to know each other depending on how tonight has been.” I paused as some people laughed.

“I am in my early thirties. I enjoy water sports and sky diving. I have an unhealthy addiction of buying useless gadgets from Amazon. Let’s just call it an addiction to shopping if the 2 spare rooms filled with clothes say anything. Thank you; for both your time and support.”

The auctioneer stared the auction with 75 thousand. A designer from Paris stared the bid. The price quickly rode up to 250 000 with the designer and surprise surprise Mr. Gage fighting it out. When the price was at 400 000 the designer bowed out, that is when Jerome decided to intervene. A part of me was worried he would let me go on the date with Mr. Gage the sexist pig.

We were now at 560 000 with Jerome winning. “560 000 going once, going twice-”

“One million.” The room was filled with gasps. My blood ran cold as my eyes bore into my ex-husbands. This bloody pain in the neck. The two men went back and forth before Jerome nonchalantly looked at his time piece.

“Five million.” He spoke looking straight at Jason. Jason was looking at the stage to his wife who had an almost painful smile. Her eyes said it all, seems he is out. I looked at auctioneer almost pleading for him not to draw this out. After a heart clenching wait SOLD was said making me sigh out in relief. I walked down the stage to be met with beautiful green eyes.

I couldn’t help hugging him. “Thank you so much. As promised I will pay you everything. Things went from okay to bad to deadly.”

We walked through the room heading for the exit, almost naturally we slipped out. “Mr. Gage is the bad or deadly?” he asked smiling in my direction.

“He can be both.” I laughed.

We reached my car with Thomas holding out the door for me. “I will send the cheque to you tomorrow. Thank you for tonight.” Spoke heading to the car.

“Goodnight Mr. King.” As I am about to get in the car his hand finds my wrist. “I don’t want your money Sahara. I’ll pick you up for our date tomorrow at 08:00 am.” He doesn’t give me chance to answer as he walks away leaving me staring at his moving back.

*****
Please vote.
Comment.
follow.
And Share.

Again. I should be writing for my other stories but i figure we should celebrate the reads. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!! Its like past 11am here and i still haven't had breakfast was busy writing. I LOVE YOU GUYS THANK YOU! More than 160 reads and
We made it to #1 on the hotlist tag coloured. Whoop whoop dynamite!