Chapter Twenty-One

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor do I claim to be Stephenie Meyer. I just like to dabble in the playground that she created with Bella, Edward and her Twilight characters. No copyright infringement is intended.

We'll pick up with Bella with some citrusy action. Will it be a full lemon? Nope ... Edward's getting better, but he still can't say those words out loud. He can whisper them. He can show them, but something is still holding him back. Plus, we'll head back to work and find out some more about James Holden.

Chapter Twenty-One

Edward

"Ooh, it's almost midnight!" Alice squealed. "Jasper, let's pour the champagne. Cyn, turn on the television."

We all stood up and we were handed noise makers, party hats and glasses of champagne. The countdown began on the screen at one minute until the New Year. I slid behind Bella and snaked my arms around her waist. She leaned against me, threading her fingers with mine. She turned in my arms, sliding her hands up my biceps and toying with my hair. "New Year, Edward ... this is the first time I've had someone to kiss at midnight."

"Me, too, angel," I said.

"What about the ex-wife?" she asked.

"We went to events, but we never really kissed at midnight," I shrugged. "But, right now? There's no one else I want in my arms at midnight. This New Year's has been infinitely more special to me because I'm with people who I care about, especially you."

"Thirty seconds!" Emmett said, pulling Rose into his arms.

"This past year was the toughest of my life," Bella said, clinging to my shirt. "I'm hopeful that this year will be better. It already is ... I'm with you, in your arms ... Love is too small a word of what I feel for you."

"My Bella," I said, pulling her closer. We heard our friends begin the ten second countdown. I was lost in her eyes as our friends cheered Happy New Year. I kissed her and as they celebrated, I breathed against her mouth, "I love you, too." She must have heard me because her mouth was pressed to mine with fervor. I cradled her head, holding her close to my body. "Want to get out of here?"

"Yeah," she smiled. "We made our appearance. Now? I want to celebrate with you."

"We're in charge ... no time table, angel," I said.

"Agreed, but you had your taste at Christmas. I want mine," she purred.

Bella

We said our hasty goodbyes. From the looks of it, we were not the only ones who were leaving. Rose and Emmett looked about ready to spontaneously combust. Quil and Embry were also eager to make their exit. Edward was stopped by Garrett and they exchanged phone numbers with promises to start training for the marathon by next weekend. Garrett also seemed interested in Cynthia, but I was eager to get back to my brownstone to get my taste of Edward.

We walked quickly to Edward's car. Neither one of us drank very much, but we were stumbling over each other and laughing. "We look drunk," I snickered.

"We do, but the sidewalks are awful," he said, his arm securely around my waist. "How can you walk in those heels?"

"They're thick," I answered, stumbling on a slick spot. "Holy crap."

"Don't fall, love. I don't want to spend New Year's in the ER," Edward chuckled.

"You think you're funny, Cullen," I deadpanned, taking another stumble until he swept me into his arms. "Don't drop me."