Chapter Two

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor do I claim to be Stephenie Meyer. I just like to dabble in the playground that she created with Bella, Edward and her Twilight characters. No copyright infringement is intended.

This Edward will be pretty unlikeable ... he's got his reasons. I swear. Sometimes, they aren't the right reasons, but they're his reasons. You'll hear from him in the next update.

Chapter Two

Edward

The woman sitting in front of me, with large brown doe eyes, thick mahogany hair, pale skin and red lips, was gaping at me like a fish. She was the same woman I'd briefly met the day before at the park with her daughter, or the girl who I believed to be her daughter. Seeing the little girl, something cracked in my armor and exposed my heart, but I had a business to run, regardless of what I felt the day before.

"I'm waiting, Miss Swan," I snapped, narrowing my eyes at her. "I've read your hiring packet and I know that you've moved across the country after the death of your parents."

Her eyes watered, but she jutted her chin out defiantly. "I graduated at the top of my class, like you," she said. "I never half-ass anything. I'm a hard worker. I'm looking forward to ..."

"You may have graduated at the top of your class, but your experience is sorely lacking, Miss Swan," I interrupted.

"I was supposed to begin working after completing my MBA at a firm in Seattle. My parents' death prevented me from taking that job, Mr. Cullen," she hissed. "I'm sorry that my personal loss is coloring your opinion of me in such a poor light. I may not have a lot of experience, but I'm a quick study and I do not appreciate my work ethic or integrity to be questioned."

I smirked at her fire. I liked her spark, but she was very close to being insubordinate. "Well, I look forward to see your work, Miss Swan," I retorted snidely, glowering at her. "You came highly recommended from the company in Seattle, despite never working there." Her face was pink and her eyes were welling with tears. I was obviously pushing her buttons. "I'll see you tomorrow, Miss Swan. You may go."

She shot up and strode out of my office. The door clicked shut and I leaned forward, thrusting my hands into my hair. Seeing those tears had wracked me to the core. I knew her history and yet, I questioned her integrity.

Ten minutes later, my door flew open and the bane of my existence stomped into my office. "You are such an asshole, Edward," snapped Rosalie. "Bella is one of the best people we hired since you've taken over as CEO. You should know. You fucking hired her without a fucking interview. You've read her resume, saw her portfolio and examined her educational transcripts. On top of that, you knew that she had experienced a significant personal loss with her parents' death. Yet, you kept pushing and pushing. Do you really not have a heart?"

"You may be the head of human resources, but you are not ..." I growled, shooting up and glaring at her.

"I'm not finished yet," she sneered. "Ever since your divorce was finalized, you've become more and more of an asshole, more unbearable. I know that you were raked over the coals by that whore, but you're fucking yourself over."

"Rosalie ... you are treading a fine line," I snapped.

"No, I'm done tiptoeing around you, Edward. You're fucking brilliant. The proof is in the product we create, the stellar teams that we have in this firm and our reputation of excellence. Your interpersonal skills, however, are sorely lacking. Isabella Swan lost her mother and stepfather six months ago. Her father had died before she could even remember. She became a single parent to her little sister, trying to be strong for a little girl who had her world upended. She's navigating this all on her own, without support. Sound fucking familiar?"